Moss Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Stevej72

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevej72

A couple weeks ago a friend and I were at coffee and tossing around ideas for pens. He suggested moss, so I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up a bag. I cast it in polyester resin and painted the tubes black. The picture isn't too good, I think it looks better in person. Maybe I should be posting it under ugly pens. Next try I think I will paint the tubes a different color. Any ideas or suggestions?

20071623346_DCP_5211.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Looks nice (forgot to say that before hitting send)

You bought spanish moss? All you gotta do is ask -- that stuff is all over our
Florida oaks. Be happy to mail some out for just the cost of mailing.

Cheers,
Gary

BigRob777

I agree with John. I'd use white, or maybe very light green on the tubes. I like your thinking. I'm always trying to think up new things. It's supposed to keep me from going senile, but maybe I started late. What were we talking about.....?

BTW, that's a really cool pen but maybe a soak in CA after turning would stop the swelling of the material.
Rob

Stevej72

Thanks for the comments. I will try it again with tubes painted a lighter color as suggested. The CA suggestion will also be used.

Gary, I'll let you know when I run out of moss. This bag is close to a lifetime supply, I think.

M

Mudder

What type of moss is it?

I did some Reindeer Moss back in September-October of last year and with black painted tubes it had a marble effect

20071617949_rmoss.jpg

GaryMGg

Steve,

Originally posted by Stevej72
<br />... Gary, I'll let you know when I run out of moss. This bag is close to a lifetime supply, I think.

Alright then. I wasn't being rude; it's just that moss is so plentiful
down here it's like, well, like it grows on trees.[;)]

Cheers,
Gary

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Stevej72
<br />It is reindeer moss, too. I like your pen, good choice on finish, is that satin nickel?

Satin Nickel is correct.

I like your pen to, It appears to have more "depth" than mine does.

Suggestions for colors would be Blue & Red.

I made a set of blanks with Blue painted tubes and they turned out great except I had a bout with stupidity and didn't catch that I had reversed the bushings. Here's what they look like:

200716214459_moss%20003.jpg

Was thinking that I will cast them again and see if I can save them. More of an experiment than anything.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Steve ( and Mudder ) another great idea!! Well done both.
Gotta ask maybe a stupid question, these things that get cast into pens like moss, corn cob, snakeskin, cactus etc, do they ever go 'off' or rot? If the item gets too close to the surface, do you just CA over it?[?]

Love to see a list of all the things folks have made into pens. Seems to be endless though.

reef12

Well I think it is ugly and you should just throw it in a box and mail it to me.[^]

Great job all around I like them Cigar pens the best.

So many different way to do them.

Fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom