More Tredle Lathe Fun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
At a recent Wood Magazine show, my AAW chapter had a booth, and one of our members brought his 1860s vintage tredle lathe. I got a chance to make a small goblet with a captured ring which was a lot of fun. This is the same lathe I used to make whistles back in January. It is fun to play with but take coordination. I found that when I would switch tools, I would sometimes end up reversing direction when my attention wandered.

Attachments

• Tredle Lathe.jpg
    Tredle Lathe.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 345
  • Mini Goblet 1.jpg
    Mini Goblet 1.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 248
  • Mini Goblet 2.jpg
    Mini Goblet 2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 190
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
J

jackrichington

I made & used a homemade springpole lathe until I got enough solar elec to run a mini lathe..it truly is fun to do and it's quiet

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
That is a very cool lathe too. The goblet felt very good in my hand, but it looks a little hard to get ice cubes into.

Boomer

The lathe is a really neat piece. It would be a blast to have an opportunity to play on one of them. It might be alittle slow for any production numbers but the authenticity of using one of the old timers would be alot of fun. It is just not something you get to see every day.

Eric,
Nicely done! It is a talent to do a captive ring on a treadle lathe. My woodturning chapter is about done with our collaborative treadle leathe. Dry assembly is Saturday and it should be ready to spin at our next meeting on Sunday. I'll post some photos of it when we are done with it.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Someday I need to make a captive ring tool, making them with a skew and a spindle gouge is a bit tricky, and makes it challanging to form small rings. I picked up some cheap files that I will use to make my own tools.

tomahawk54

awesome...
I love non-powered lathes!
My dad is moving out of my shop so I'll have a ton more room...
Maybe Ill set up my pole lathe again.
hmm.
I just might have to do that...

Top Bottom