More questions, opinions!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

OK, I have a bunch of these small pieces left over, and I hate to throw anything away...

Now, my bandsaw drifts a bit (to say the least) so these small pieces I have are not exactly square. I want to square them up so I can glue them up or put tubes in, so I'm trying to figure out a way to do this and keep most of my skin and/or fingers! I have my 12 inch Shopsmith disk sander, but for those small pieces I'm a bit wary!! I thought of using the hand screws to hold the pieces, but it doesn't seem to be the best possiblity.

How do YOU do it?

(If I can make a few of these, would I graduate from NOOB?)
(what comes after nooby? [:p] )

I'm wondering about something like this, mentioned in my search! ;)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34951

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Mike call me tonight (not during Jeopardy or Survivor)... I am confused... not really all that hard to do lately...[:p]

All bandsaws drift, sharp blades drift less.

Just a day or two ago this was posted
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5765&whichpage=2

Hope this helps

elody21

What I would do is use a belt sander on one side of the piece and glue it to the larger piece of pen blank. Go ahead and drill, tube etc.. leaving some exposed tube ( whatever amount you need) Place it on the lathe.Then use a parting tool on the lathe to true up the other side. It should be perfect.! Then drill and glue on your other piece. Doing it this way will insure your lines are straight across.
Even if you had a small piece that was perfectly square at first and you glue everything together before you drill, if your drill wanders you will get a line that is not straight. Adding a piece on the lathe will insure that all is perfect!

53Jim

Michael,
I had one of those belt/disk sanders, and now it's just a disk sander. I cut the belt part off of the main machine 'cuz the belt kept slipping whenever any type of pressure was used.[:(!]

I made a sled,that is 90 degrees to the disk, with a short fence nailed on. I use that to square my blanks, and so far, have not noticed any major problems.

Good Luck,

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom