More Pin Chucks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

I would like to start this thread to see if there is enough interest to do another run of the Baron pin chucks? Please email me if you would like one as I am out for now, but would be willing to do another run if people still have an interest for them and missed out.

Also, I am looking into some different sizes. Please post up what you think would work best for us? I have had a couple of requests for the Panache, but it would be a two pin setup for sure. Also, the Jr Gents Version II. If you are interested in something, please email and I can make a list of interest and go from there.

Thanks for all of your support.

Fangar

woodpens

I need to look at the details regarding the pin chucks, but you can count me in for one. I am most in favor of the Baron size.

LanceD

James, I received my second Baron pin chuck from you as a spare. Thanks very much. I would buy a Panache chuck from you. But i'd like to see a Jr Statesman/Gents chuck first.[;)]

Lance

thetalbott4

James - I'd be in for a Panache set and have gone on record as being for the Jr VII. Will they be ready by Friday? Just kidding, Monday will be ok. [;)]

wayneis

Panache for me, For those on the fence...look at the nib section of the Panache, its very close to the nib section of the Jr. Gent/Statesman. Now compare the prices of the kits, which one do you feel better about only using some of the kits parts. Also with the Panache, because it doesn't utilize a clip you can easily make an all wood closed end pen.

Wayne

Ryan

How about extra pins? I have dropped mine a few times and I know it is only a matter of time before I loose it for good.

Ryan

Chuck Key

Would there be two pin chucks available for the Panache? If only one which end would it be? The Panache mignt look a bit odd with one closed end treatment and one stock flared end. Maybe not.

Chuckie

Fangar

Wow!

I am in the process of investigating Rod sizes, bushing sizes, etc for the Jr Gents II, and the Panache.

Chuckie, The Panache will be a two rod set for both the top and bottom barrel.

Now before anyone gets too excited [:D], I have to look into this. The issue being whether there is a rod available that can me milled to work with the kits. It not, it is not worth the time and effort (And rsulting cost) to turn them down to size. I have a couple of Jr. Gents II kits on hand and will start there. I will order a panache next time I order with CSUSA to check out the tube sizes. I have found that I can't go by caliper sizes offered as I need to check the physical fit and function before I will make them.

Lastly, I am in the process of looking into farming the job out to a friend of mine who is a machinist. I have pretty much worn out my welcome at my old man's shop for a while. I think his prices would allow me to sell them for the same or maybe even less than they have been going for.

Thanks for all of our patience.

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by Ryan
<br />How about extra pins? I have dropped mine a few times and I know it is only a matter of time before I loose it for good.

Ryan

I will get some extra pins together and offer them with the next runs.

Fangar

Fangar

Originally posted by Bob A
<br />James, do I remember you mentioning making them for the cap end of the baron/gent jr? Are you going to do this? Did I just miss the post for it?

Bob,

I did make the Gents chuck which fits the uper cap of the baron with a little sanding. After the sanding, it still works just fine for the lower barrel. The bad new is that I am out of them.

Fangar

fuzzydog

You B

edit: That isn't meant to be something nasty, I just hit the wrong key on the keyboard.

I'm so sorry if this has offended anybody. That isn't my intention. One of the great things about this forum is the fun we all have together.

Fangar

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />If you ever make them for the slimline again. I'm in the market.

I haven't made any for the slimline. Those can be made fairly simply with an old spare mandrel. Simply grind a flat spot in it close to the thickness of a pin (Usually cut from a thin finishing nail). Then finish the slot to depth with a flat metal file to fit. Give it a shot!

Looks like we are getting close to enough interest for the Jr. Statesman and more of the Baron's based on responses here as well as emails I have received. I found a local machinist to do the work, but he has quite a units requirement. To make it worth while I have to get 40 of each sold to break even.

Fangar

TomServo

How about listing the sizes of the chucks you're currently making / going to make? I'd very much like one to fit the berea american flat top 2000 pens - and without knowing the size of the mandrels you currently make, I have no idea if one will work :) same goes for other pens, I'd hazard to guess.

Suggestion: if you reccomend a pen kit to Fangar, measure the inside of a new brass tube (or two) and specify the size in thousandths or mm. I'd do it now for the above pens but I don't have my calipers with me here at work..

edit: I know it takes a letter "V" drill bit - .377" - when I get home I'll measure the tubes.

edit: .354-.355" ID on those barrels.

Fangar

Originally posted by TomServo
<br />How about listing the sizes of the chucks you're currently making / going to make? I'd very much like one to fit the berea american flat top 2000 pens - and without knowing the size of the mandrels you currently make, I have no idea if one will work :) same goes for other pens, I'd hazard to guess.

Suggestion: if you reccomend a pen kit to Fangar, measure the inside of a new brass tube (or two) and specify the size in thousandths or mm. I'd do it now for the above pens but I don't have my calipers with me here at work..

edit: I know it takes a letter "V" drill bit - .377" - when I get home I'll measure the tubes.

edit: .354-.355" ID on those barrels.

Thanks for the info Tom. The Flat top 2000 is not one that I am likely to make anytime soon. I can't stand those kits. Just my opinion. The closest to that size that I make is the Baron (23/64" or .359). It could likely be sanded the .005 to fit the ID of the lower tube. You would likely need a smaller pin though.

I have made the:
Baron - 23/64" (.359)
Gents - 11 mm (.433)(Needs to be sanded about 1000th to fit).

Will Be making:
Jr. Statesman - "V" (.377)

I use the same 7/64" (.109) pin in all of them.

Cheers,

Fangar

TomServo

Fangar: thanks for the info! I might just try my hand at it - I do have a small milling capability - but more likely I'll buy one of those Baron chucks and work it however needs be - if the pin comes out too large after sanding the chuck, I can just mill a couple thous off the flat area.

Fangar

I ordered the stock for More Baron's today and also the stock for the Jr. Statesman and the Jr. Gents. I intend on doing the panache down the road for those interested. I have to do some research to figure that one out. I have not had time to order the kits yet.

EDIT: Stock will be here next week!

Fangar

elody21

I have been out of things for awhile, but would love one for the Baron and panache. I hope there are instructions. I have never used a pin chuck. Thanks, Alice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom