MORE PICS - The proof is in the photos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Just so Frank (Rifleman) knows that I do work in North American woods, here's the "King" of domestic woods...crotch walnut.

2005103203259_WalnutCrotch.jpg

And to prove to Anthony (PenWorks) that I do occasionally work in resins, here's a sky blue and an "Andes" mint.

2005103203742_SkyBlueAcrylic.jpg

2005103203545_ChocolateMintAcrylic.jpg

Thank you for looking. Please feel free to comment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Lou, the more I see of this pen, the more I'm thinking I gotta get some!.....Great looking work ...as always!

JimGo

I really like those Lou!

I'm thinking of ordering some of these kits from Bill B - if you, Michael, or any of the other Northern Virginians are interested in joining me in the purchase, E-mail me offline (I don't want to hijack your thread).

fritzmccorkle

still have not made my mind up on this kit, but lou your workmanship is awesome. i guess it would have to be with photos this good. yours show the product so well that any defects would be very evident.

Dario

Lou, Those look great. After seeing these and Anthony's...I have to try them too [:D]

JimGo, I sent you an email. Looks like another group buy is brewing up!

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Great workmanship Lou...they all look great, but that may be the first pen and pen kit using walnut that I can say I personally liked.

Is that the upgrade gold or gold titanium kit...?...quite a bit of difference in pricing of the gold titanium between one and fifty kits, just in case someone was considering a group buy [:)][:p]

Deere41h

Lou....Those are really Great. The more I see of that kit the more I like it and you have given it a nice flair. Thanks for sharing them with us. I like the blue the best.

Jim Boyd

Is that kit considered a "fat" kit? Would it be compatible for segmented stuff? It looks like it would not go to good with a arched type barrel. Nice pens btw. I like the green acrylic.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Beautiful work Lou! No surprise there, of course. I finished my first Sierra ballpoint using Lava Flow acrylic from woodpenpro.com, and I really like the kit. I think I have done my last Atlas/Polaris kit. Sorry Frank, I think the kit lends itself more to acrylics than wood.

gerberpens

Great pens, blanks and photos. I have a couple of those kits that I can't wait to make. The sky blue looks like it is illuminated from the inside.

Your photo setup is impressive. Congrats.[:)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for all of the kind words!

The credit for my photos goes to Eagle for his critiquing and to Rich K. for his tutoring, Fritz. I'm still working on it, but it is getting better.

Frank, I'm glad you appreciate the walnut...you, too, Anthony, but I knew I'd get you with the chocolate mint. [:D]

Both resin pens are platinum fittings, since they are destined to be gifts. The walnut pen is Gold titanium. Finish on the resins is Micro-Mesh to 12000 followed by plastic polish and TSW. Finish on the walnut is sanding sealer, Micro-Mesh to 12000, six coats of lacquer topped off with TSW.

John D.--I finally understand! John Deere! Thanks for the comments.

Jim B.--it's a robust pen, but not fat. Slimmer than a cigar. The shape of the cap and nib doesn't lend itself to much ballooning, in my opinion, but you do have a little leeway....

20051044137_CochinRosewood.jpg
<br />

M

Mudder

I particularly like the olivewood one......Hey! Didn't you make an olivewood one? As usual your pens are top notch. I'll have to pry your finishing technique out of you because it is sooooooooo nice.

Ron Mc

Lou,
I don't know what you did to that Walnut. Maybe I'll send you some of mine to see if you can work that magic hand on it!
Nice job.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Beautiful work Lou! No surprise there, of course. I finished my first Sierra ballpoint using Lava Flow acrylic from woodpenpro.com, and I really like the kit. I think I have done my last Atlas/Polaris kit. Sorry Frank, I think the kit lends itself more to acrylics than wood.

No comment. [;)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, again, for the additional supportive comments. You folks really do any ego good! [8D]

Not many other items to address, but here goes. The sky blue acrylic rod is from www.pipemakers.org . It is so translucent that the light really does shine through it in many places. (You've GOT to paint the tubes!)

The walnut is a bit difficult to get to look good both in person and even more so in a photograph. Next to bog oak, it's the most time consuming to finish.

Yes, Mudder, there is a Bethlehem olive wood Sierra.

200510514530_BethlehemOliveWood.jpg
<br />

OK Lou, you finally got me to do it, I have jumped to the Sierra & ordered some. It really is a shame however that the plastics are not made to be replaced. Or at least some different colors.

Fangar

Awesome Lou. I need to get one of those pen rests too! Off to Tap Plastics this weekend to get some stock. Inspiring photos!

Fangar

BigRob777

Lou,
Awesome! I even like the blue one, but don't tell anyone.[:D] It looks like it is a source of light. Now to really show my ignorance. I know that the sierra looks like a wallstreet some, but I thought this was a wallstreet. I'm not even sure I got that name right. I am really starting to like this style of kit, whichever it is. I thought of orderint some sierras today, from BB. It has a nice long hunk of wood (in my useage it will be wood) in it. The walnut does look spectacular and is my favorite. Very stately. Nice work. BTW, thanks for your help on my last pen.
Rob

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Rob--the Sierra is a Wall Street (or Broker or whatever) on steroids. It's meatier and takes a Parker-style refill (which means it can also take a gel refill!). As for your most recent pen, I'm always glad to help out. I can't wait to see the next hundred! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom