More low_48 Honey Locust

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rapost

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapost

Just to compare the two cuts of Honey Locust, I made one in x-cut (on the left) and one in straight cut (on the right.

Full shots:

200612515015_Honey-Locust.jpg

Details:

200612515041_Honey-Locust-a.jpg

Very PURTY wood!!! The pictures don't do it justice! Thanks low_48!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
My Honey Locust doesn't look anything like that... this is the tree with the 4 inch long thorns sticking out of the bark, right?

Those are very pretty pens... why is one darker than the other... heartwood vs sap wood or what.

rapost

Thanks! I'm pleased with the shapes.

Chuck:

The left is cross-cut, the right one isn't. Don't know what the tree looks like - I just got a envelope full of sticks [:D][:p] The colors vary dramatically from piece to piece.

Jeff: It's Bearea Hardwood's Streamlined American Rollerball - It's a classic American "Parker Style" kit usually straight sided. I thoguht I'd add a few curves ot make it interesting. It went together nicely - some of the castings/plating on the end finial (?) were a little rough on some of the kits.

low_48

Very nice work Rick. Beautiful pens. That honey locust was very unusual. The heart of the log kinda looked like a snow flake (very interesting comparison since I spent 3 days digging myself and neighbors out of the 14" snow we got last Friday)of radial dark streaks. Nothing like I had ever seen before, but it is the tree with thorns.
I have to get some blanks glued up for myself, congrats Rick.

Skye

Nice looking wood there. If you can lay down a few layers of thick CA, then sand them, you can get rid of those dimples.

rapost

Great!! Skye has a new Sig: "I see dimples....." [:p]

Actually, thanks for the advice. I'm still working on my "trademark" finish [:)] I need to try some CA work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom