modified slims

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

Gold dyed and stabilized maple and African blackwood. Enjoy and comments welcome: good, bad, or indifferent.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

2006123135146_two%20challenge%20pens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Hey, I like those.

I would like to know more about the internal workings of the pen. Is the split at the end of the Blackwood, and how do the twist mechanisms work with it that low??

its_virgil

Thanks for the comments. I've been told these are a bit retro.

Russ, the pen is made exactly like I make the arrow pens explained in my arrow pen tutorial which is in the library. Duh, it's not there. But, it is the first tutorial in the list over on The Pen Shop. I just replaced the arrow shaft with the maple section and added the blackwood end on the finial end. The finial end piede of blackwood is drilled 7mm then drilled half way through with 11/32 to counter sink the clip and finial. A notch must be cut for the clip.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />Hey, I like those.

I would like to know more about the internal workings of the pen. Is the split at the end of the Blackwood, and how do the twist mechanisms work with it that low??

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I don't know about retro, but if the kits and pens that I see everywhere are at all representative, lots of plastic, chrome,and frills are back. Can fender shirts, fins, and wrap-around windshields be far behind??

wudnhed

Amazing Don[:D] I'm barely trying to get the basics down and your changing the way the pen itself looks. I may never catch up[:p]

To my eye it doesn't look retro just beautiful!

its_virgil

Thanks for the comments. I am working on an article for a magazine on this pen and wanted some of my trusted penturning friend's opinions. I will tell more after the article is published in the Feb issue. But, if you will read closely what I posted already and go read the arrow article, I think it can be figured out quite easily. I'll send the arrow tutorial to Jeff so we can have it here. I thought I had, but guess not. Thanks for the comments. Slimlines are not that difficult to modify...in fact, the kit is very forgiving. Russ Fairfield's site is a good place to start. Russ has some excellent instructions on how to make a several modified slims to get your creative juices flowing. Contrary to popular belief, there are other ways to modify the slimline without using rifle casings.[:D] Nothing wrong with rifle casings...I like them too!
Do a good turn daily!
Donm

Scott

Hi Don!

Very Nice! I have always liked this style of pen! When I saw it I wondered if you inset the finial and clip, but you answered that already. Now, where might that article appear? [8D]

Scott.

its_virgil

Scott, you get one "More Woodturning" guess as to where is will appear. You'll have to wait until the Feb issue comes out. My Dec article laid a foundation for a few articles on modified slimlines. This one is next. Check your email for a preview.
Do a good turn daily!
Donm
Originally posted by Scott
<br />Hi Don!

Very Nice! I have always liked this style of pen! When I saw it I wondered if you inset the finial and clip, but you answered that already. Now, where might that article appear? [8D]

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom