Modified Slimline Between Centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Most of the pens I make are slimlines without the center band and I wondered how I could get the advantages of turning the pens between centers. It is necessary to have the center joint match exactly.

I took a 1/4" bolt and sawed the head and threads off, leaving a length of rod shorter than the two combined blank halves.
This when slid into the tubes supports the center junction.

The blank can then be placed between centers, turned, sanded, and finished. Wax or vaseline is placed on the opposing centers and on the rod, preventing sticking with CA.

Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotian12

Hi Larry...You were one of my first mentors for penturning way back on Yahoo Penturners in 2003. I was just starting penturning and turning slimlines . You opened up a new world of possibilities by introducing me to the centerless slimline and adding different contrasting colored woods as trim and centerbands. Here you are in 2008 still teaching and modifying the slimline . Thanks for all your help and inspiration . Darrell

refueler1

Larry, I am new to pen turning having only made 6 pens. I have seen pics of pens without the centerbands and have wanted to make some. Could you give me some direction on this technique? Thanks, Jack.

Darell,

Thank you for your kind words. Your website is excellent as are your pens.

Jack,

You can see some excellent "bandless" pens in Darell's website.

The method of producing slimline pens without the metal center band was introduced to me by Jay Pickens. The essential technique is to have your two opposing center surfaces of the blanks absolutely flush so there is no discernable gap. I use a sanding jig with a disc sander, after the tubes have been glued in.
I then mount the blanks on the mandrel without the center bushing. When you turn and sand the two blanks should be flush.
I use a BLO/CA finish so before I apply the finish, I take the two blank halves off and lightly coat the ends and the bushings and mandrel with vaseline.

When I glue a contrasting wood, corian, acrylic, bone, antler, etc, etc, band either at the end or center, I sand the end and glue the band, blank, and tube at the same time. I use polyurethane glue for this and clamp the blank and band.

That should do it.Feel free to ask any questions. You can email me at lgottlieb2@gmail.com

Good luck

Larry

PaulDoug

Larry, went out to you site and looked at your pens. Beautiful pens! Thanks for sharing your techniques. I love the corian/wood together and in my opinion you do the perfect mix.

Top Bottom