Modified El Grande FP - update

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gwilki

gwilki

This started out as an El Grande FP. I did the grip in the blank material, trimmed the centre band by about 2/3, and turned it closed end. I don't think it looks much like an El Grande any more, but I'm reasonably pleased with it.

I'm open to suggestions for improvement.

Update: I took Don's and Johnathan's comments and modified the finial a bit. I added an insert of the pen material into the centre of it.

2008318233616_open%202.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by gwilki

This started out as an El Grande FP. I did the grip in the blank material, trimmed the centre band by about 2/3, and turned it closed end. I don't think it looks much like an El Grande any more, but I'm reasonably pleased with it.

200831813117_open%201.jpg

The biggest improvement possible is to send it to me! Nice work.

its_virgil

And pleased with it you should be. Modifying kits is fun and challenging. You did a handsome job on that el Grande. It looks like a totally different pen. Now, you can replace that black cap finial with some of the pen material.It can be done and is not difficult. With what you've already done, you can figure it out.:D
Do a good turn daily!
Don

gwilki

Don
I actually did that. I have the finial right here and can screw it on to replace the stock one. As you say, it's quite easy, especially with the El Grande.

However, my wife liked the black for this one, as it offsets the black in the centre band. Each to his own, I guess.

its_virgil

If Mamma ain't happy then ain't nobody happy! You did the right thing.:D:D:D Good job.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

However, my wife liked the black for this one, as it offsets the black in the centre band. Each to his own, I guess.

Johnathan

Grant, wonderful pen! You really did a great job. I like the black on both ends of the cap, but I would love to see you tie in the colors at the end of the cap to the rest of the pen, here's a photo to show what I mean, still, great job![8D]
tn_wdcav1952penidea.jpg

JohnU

Thats a great looking pen. You guys keep setting the bar higher! It gives us beginners something to strive for. Thank You!

gwilki

Johnathan: It's funny that you should post that. I started on another finial this morning, along the lines of your Photoshop work. I am going to use a thin piece of the blank material as an insert into the end of the finial, and shorten the black a bit so that it is the same height as the black in the centre band. If I manage to get it right, I'll post updated pics.

Thanks to you all for your kind words and encouragement. I'm grateful.

jhs494

Very nice job. Awesome display of customizing a kit pen. I can see why it was snatched up so quick...:)

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing it with us.

Johnathan

Johnathan: It's funny that you should post that. I started on another finial this morning, along the lines of your Photoshop work. I am going to use a thin piece of the blank material as an insert into the end of the finial, and shorten the black a bit so that it is the same height as the black in the centre band. If I manage to get it right, I'll post updated pics.

Thanks to you all for your kind words and encouragement. I'm grateful.

Grant, the updated pen looks great! nice job. I liked it before but now I really like it![8D]

gwilki

Karl: I don't thrive on rejection quite enough to try for a Guild shot yet. I'll let you lead the way for me, and hold the door open.

Glenn: I loosely followed Rich Kleinhenz's method.

Johnathan: I'm glad that you like it. After all, you're the one who pushed me to modify it.

Tea Clipper

That is an outstanding pen Grant! That's a nice touch to the finial as well. Is that a flecked celluloid from CSUSA or something else? Whatever it is, it's a great combination. I'm more of a wood guy myself, but I keep coming back to admire your pen. [8D]

gwilki

Ron
I personally prefer wood, too. I just like experimenting with other material and shapes. Others have found that acrylics sell better than wood. Since I sell so few, I've not seen a difference. :)

The blank is a material called Cebloplast out of Italy. It's old material that Elliot Landes sells out of California.

randyrls

Update: I took Don's and Johnathan's comments and modified the finial a bit. I added an insert of the pen material into the centre of it.

Grant; That is exquisite workmanship and good use of materials. It gives me ideas..

Top Bottom