Modded Slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DurocShark

DurocShark

Trying to see how much of a "step" I can get away with at the finial and nib for a modified slim. I think this is about it before it starts looking odd...

Thoughts?

modslimblrd02.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

Thanks guys.

The step from nib to blank ... I tried to match the step in the nib itself. I think I did ok? The step at the finial was measured to be the same amount.

It feels pretty good in the hand so I don't think the step harms the feel at all. Weight's nice too, for a slim. ;)

dow

Don, that looks great!

How did you do the center band? I've never seen anything like it, and I'd really like to get away from the "regular" slim look.

DurocShark

Turn the cap end round.
Part off however much you want to be the CB.
Drill your material for the CB. (I used .032" aluminum and some scrap black PR.)
Glue the new pieces to the tube. Use a clamp to remove any gap between the components.
Square.
Turn.

Parting the end off while on the lathe assures you that the line will be straight.

dow

That's great! Thanks a million, Don. My biggest complaint about the slims is the center band that comes with them. This is wonderful!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Matching the steps at the nib and the finial make it a design element instead of a mistake. It looks very nice done that way.

bitshird

Neat centerband treatment, I'm not too hip on the steps though, seems the step at the nib would be a distraction while writing. But maybe not, at the finial I think it would be OK damifino.

Top Bottom