Mod Podge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I have read that several people use Mod Podge to glue labels and other things to the tubes before casting. I use Elmers only because I can't get the MP to work. I think the MP is a much better product because it really makes the colors pop. I use PR resin with and without pressure. When I don't use pressure I use a sonic cleaner. I've tried about a dozen times several different ways and get the same results. The resin always separates from the tube. I've had a few that were just on the ends that I thought I could trim off and segment and save the cast but the longer the cast set the worse the separation would get. By the time I thought the resin was cured the entire blank would be scrap. I've set up the same blanks at the same time,1 with MP and 1 with Elmers, and the MP would fail and the Elmers would be great. I called the manufacturer of MP and they said it takes 4 weeks for MP to cure and that was probably the problem. I let the tubs set for 2 days up to a week with the same results. As much as I would like to use the MP I don't want to wait a month to cast. I was curious to how long others let the MP dry before they cast. Thanks for any comments or ideas. Kenny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
When I do blanks like stamp blanks I glue them on the tube with tacky glue and when that dries I cover them with Mod Podge to protect the inks. Never tried to use MP as the "glue" to hold them to the tubes.

Turned Around

I use thick CA for gluing things to the tubes before casting in PR. I can cast as soon as 10 minutes after I glue something to the tube, but I tend to let it air out for about an hour or so. (less chance of fogging the PR) I've glued all kinds of things to the tubed with CA. Rope, thread, cigar labels, fishing lures, stamps, pictures, etc. All with no problem.

Never had the attention span to watch MP dry so I can cast it a couple days later.

Kenny Durrant

Nic I don't want to jinx you but even with ca I have to let cure a couple days or I have the same problem. I guess our one of the guys that have all the luck. I also realize 2 days is sooner than 30 but I like to use white glue so I will have time to adjust or play with it to get the label just right. I'm not saying I have a great attention span either because my wife has better things for me to do other than watch glue dry. Ha Ha
Freddie how long do you let the tube dry after applying the MP before you cast.
Thanks

jsolie

I wasn't using stamps, but some scrapbookinng paper. I had glued it to the tube and applied MP. It was probably two months before I got around to casting it, so the MP was nice and dry. I cast it in PR and put it under about 50lbs of pressure overnight. Everything stuck to the tube fine, no problem there.

The weird thing was that the PR seemed to draw out some of the purple ink from the paper.

Not wanting to hijack this too much, but would more MP have prevented this?

Marko50

When I use Mod-Podge I let it sit for 2 days, sometimes 3 if I have other things going on. Never had a problem with it off-gassing. I sometimes take a blow dryer to the tubes after applying Mod-Podge as well. Use a low heat setting and gently circulate the air around the tube. It speeds up the process. Make sure the viscosity of the MP is thin. Old stuff tends to be awfully thick. (MP and Elmer's Glue are about the same thing aren't they?) Anywho, that's my .02¢ worth

Kenny Durrant

MP and Elmers will do the same thing but I think the MP brightens up the colors or at least makes them stand out. That's the only reason I'm trying to make the MP work. I'm sure it's something small that's causing the problem I just need to figure it out. Thanks again for all the comments.

Top Bottom