Misread this wood and kicked myself

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edicehouse

edicehouse

This is a blank from George's Bits of Timber. I honestly thought this blanks was going to be a lost cause, because of that big knot. So I just grabbed a couple slim tubes. The pack had 4 blanks in it, and some were long enough to do a 2 tube and a single tube blank, so I was not too worried about this blank falling apart. I also figured it would help me work on my slow cuts.

So I turn and get down quiet a ways, and figured I would actually try and work on the skills and abilities of turning a difficult blank. So I CA glue it, get a drink, smoke a cigarette, and go back and turn some more, CA glue it, and so on.

I get it turned down to size, and put some DNA on it to clean the blank. That is when the cussing started. Why didn't I grab a better set of tubes to do this blank on.

Attachments

• 20170527_133930.jpg
    20170527_133930.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 427
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day Ed,

Ahahah, I had to laugh because you should have known better, with blanks coming out of the "stables" of that guy in South Australia, anything is possible...!:biggrin:

Your Slimline profile has plenty of "meat" so the barrel diameter is not that much different than many other kits and from where I stand, the pen looks pretty good, congrats...!

I do like woods with knots, some knots are very difficult to handle but, taking the time to do what you did with this blank/knot, you gave yourself the best chances to succeed, a little extra time is all it takes and the results are obvious...!:wink:

I call that a piece of wood with character.

Take care,

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Top Bottom