mini refill in cartride pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fordwakeman

I've been making cartridge pens for a couple of months, and started making some in 243. after seating the transmission and using a 100 grain bullet. the standard cross refill is a tad long. Ive shortened the refill a bit and it works but I was wondering if there is any trick to using a mini refill in these? I am looking at 223 cartridges and I know that it will be a bigger challlenge. Ive looked at the library and there is lots of info on the larger cartridges with cross and parker refills but I haven't seen anything with the mini refills. Maybe I'm thinking its harder than it is, but I thought I'd check.

thanks

Sylvanite

I use a cross-style mini-refill in my 223/5.56 and 7.62x39mm cartridge pens. It is barely long enough for those calibers. I doubt it will work well in 243 Win. For my short-action caliber pens (243, 308, etc.) I use a regular cross-style refill and leave the tube protruding from the case head about 3/16". That way, I can still seat the bullet to SAAMI specs. Check out http://www.bulletpenkits.com/ShortActionInstructions.pdf for assembly info.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Top Bottom