Mini milling machine options?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

Does anyone have any experience with mini milling machines? I'm looking to getting a small milling machine basically just to use in my knife making. I don't do alot but wanting something that can handle milling out slots in knife guards amd drilling holes in the blade tangs. Right now I'm using my bandsaw for cutting out 1/8" grooves but it is a little slow and tedious and usually a lot of filing. Just looking for something more accurate and budget friendly. I'm looking at the Proxxon MF70 but see a lot of mixed reviews. Thanks for any advice/opinions.
Bobby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

Can't you rig something that can use a router? Perfect tool for slot cutting.
I don't know John. I have a router and table but don't think the cutter shafts will fit a router. Not sure. I don't have milling cutters/bits to compare with.
Added: Also, the router is one speed, very fast, I wonder if that would be a problem? I will be slotting aluminum, brass and copper.

Last edited:

Bryguy

I have the Harbor Freight mini mill. It is adequate, and inexpensive. You'll need to do some adjustments to it when you get it. Lots of info on this online.

bsshog40

I have the Harbor Freight mini mill. It is adequate, and inexpensive. You'll need to do some adjustments to it when you get it. Lots of info on this online.
How long have you had yours Bryan? I was looking at those also but looking at reviews, people seem to have problems with the motors and travel when cutting. We have a HF pretty close, I may look at one this week. At least they have pretty good return policies.

duncsuss

We have a HF pretty close, I may look at one this week. At least they have pretty good return policies.
When I buy powered tools from HF, I make a point of buying the 3yr replacement warranty. I haven't always needed to use it, but two wood lathes (12 x 36) had to go back after a few months in service, and that alone convinced me.

I'm also interested in getting a mini-mill (planning to machine pen clips from Damascus and stuff like that.)

duncsuss

I watched a "review" video of the HF mini-mill and in the comments somebody recommended getting the similar model from Little Machine Shop - it has an airspring on the Z-axis (up/down) where the HF version doesn't, and a couple of other features that make it a better product. Of course it costs $100 more than HFs version.

rixstix

R8 is probably better but the mt2 is ok vs the Proxxon that Bobby was looking at.

I'd be looking at the Proxxon if my only use was penmaking and resin work.

randyrls

How long have you had yours Bryan? I was looking at those also but looking at reviews, people seem to have problems with the motors and travel when cutting. We have a HF pretty close, I may look at one this week. At least they have pretty good return policies.

Bobby; Don't take one in stock. Order only. They will sometimes take parts from an in stock machine to replace a part.

I have had one for many years. I just use it mostly to drill out pen blanks.
Little Machine Shop is a great place to shop. Remember you will need about the same amount of money for parts and pieces as you buy parts and accessories for the machine.

bsshog40

Bobby; Don't take one in stock. Order only. They will sometimes take parts from an in stock machine to replace a part.

I have had one for many years. I just use it mostly to drill out pen blanks.
Little Machine Shop is a great place to shop. Remember you will need about the same amount of money for parts and pieces as you buy parts and accessories for the machine.
Yea I went by there yesterday just to look at one. They don't carry them in-store anyway and has to be ordered. I am realizing that one that works and still needs fine tuning and extra stuff is gonna cost me $1000 or more. I'm not sure what I'm wanting it for justifies the cost anymore. It would be neat to have but debating whether I would use it that much! Thanks Randy!
And thanks to everyone else for their help!
Bobby

Top Bottom