Mini beal buff??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Ok, I am still tossing this around here, but can someone explain why the small 4" (or are they 3"??) buffing wheels set up on a threaded rod mandrel not seen in use? I was thinking about this and thought for out small pens, the ability to build one on 1/2" threadded rod, and the low cost... Why not?? It could be easily held in a drill chuck on the lathe and simple to store due to the smaller size. Am I missing something here? The "outside" wheel speed will even be slower than the larger wheels.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bradh

Smaller wheels means lower surface speed. Buffing is usually a high speed process.
I built my buffer using 6" wheels on 1/2" all-thread and a Jacob's chuck (drill type chuck). I run this at 1500 or 2500 RPM.

Mikey

I use the 8" wheels I have at something like 1,200 or 1,400 RPM. I would have to at least double that speed. So, I figure why keep changing speeds and use something smaller, especially when they are going to cost moe in the long run because they'll wear out faster.

its_virgil

At 1200 rpm the 8" wheel has a speed of 42 ft/sec (28.6 mph) at the buffing surface of the wheel and the 4" wheel has a speed of 21 ft/sec (14.3 mph) at the buffing surface of that wheel. Even though they turn at the same rpm's the speed of the buffing surface is not the same. There are two speeds involved when an object is rotating.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Mikey
<br />I use the 8" wheels I have at something like 1,200 or 1,400 RPM. I would have to at least double that speed. So, I figure why keep changing speeds and use something smaller, especially when they are going to cost moe in the long run because they'll wear out faster.

Mikey

That's why I said you would have to change speeds if you went with something smaller. In fact, I believe I said "double the speed". The way I look at it, why keep bothering if you can do most stuff at one single speed.

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />At 1200 rpm the 8" wheel has a speed of 42 ft/sec (28.6 mph) at the buffing surface of the wheel and the 4" wheel has a speed of 21 ft/sec (14.3 mph) at the buffing surface of that wheel. Even though they turn at the same rpm's the speed of the buffing surface is not the same. There are two speeds involved when an object is rotating.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Mikey
<br />I use the 8" wheels I have at something like 1,200 or 1,400 RPM. I would have to at least double that speed. So, I figure why keep changing speeds and use something smaller, especially when they are going to cost moe in the long run because they'll wear out faster.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Don is correct.

My reference was to the wrong formula for "Area" that was claimed to be related to surface speed. It has since been removed, and I deleted my message.

Randy_

To back up Russ so you don't think he is going senile, it was my post. Will blame it on a brain fart or lack of the second cup of morning coffee; but I posted a comment that was incorrect and removed it after a minute or two of more thoughtful reflection. Sorry. [B)][B)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom