Milo wood Chalice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kalai

Kalai

Hi everyone, this is a Hawaiian Milo wood Chalice that I made for one of the big name galleries here in Hawaii, it is made to look like some of the Royal Hawaiian wood turnings that were make for King Kalakaua in the 1800's. It is 6 inches in dia. and 9.5 inches tall.
Comments welcome. Aloha nui loa.

Chris "Kalai"

Attachments

• Milo chalice 014.jpg
    Milo chalice 014.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 471
  • Milo chalice 016.jpg
    Milo chalice 016.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 556
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I have a book called The Hawaiian Calabash, by Irving Jenkins, that has a turning of that kind pictured on page 119. You did a nice job of turning in that style.

Pete

ctubbs

Beautiful material. I hesitate to call it timber as it is almost too beautiful to be wood. The turning and finish is impeccable, also. Congratulations on a job, no, a work of art well done.
Charles

Kalai

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies, hay Pete, I have that same book and Irving lives on Oahu and is a friend of mine, I used that picture on page 119 as a model for me to use, I guess it lloks good enoug to make you remember the picture you saw in the book, that is a great book by the way, a lot of great information on the Hawaiian calabash bowl.
Aloha

Chris "Kalai"

MrPukaShell

I too have that book and it is awesome. Why do you think they put the rings on the bowls? As far as I have read in the book everything was carved by hand. I think that you did a really good job like everyone has stated. Definitely did the wood justice, one for the shelf

Top Bottom