MidWest/Illinois Pen Turners Gathering????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

Is there some type of meeting or get together here in the MidWest for pen turners????? Is there an interest in such a thing? I am still green when it comes to pen turning but if interest is there, I am willing to try and set something up here in east central Illinois (Champaign-Urbana). Facilities are not a problem, especially for a group under 100 or so.

What say ye??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Great, With any luck I will get to meet Tony and we can travel together!

(Hope its ok with him!)

Unfortunately, this time of year will be difficult to find a weekend day that I am not out "craft showing"! But, if it works, I'd LOVE to be there!

low_48

Count me in! I tried last year in Peoria, but didn't get much help with local advertising. Woodcraft in Peoria is having a Freedom Pen day in October, I think, but I don't know what date you have in mind. Champaign might be better for the turners from the Chicago area. They can just shoot down I57. Let me know if I can help. There are several of us from the Peoria Area. I'm sure I can get a van load to come along. I probably can pick up a few in Bloomington/Normal.

joeyh

Count me in I'm from strait south of Rockford. I'd love to meet up with someone and ride, take, or caravan with them or a group of turners. Please keep me informed. I'm currently in Gatlinburg, Tn on vacation, and won't be back for about a week.

cozee

Right now I am seeing if there is interest. As for a date, I need to check with my contact at the Urbana Park District to see what dates are open. Building is free but do need to take what slots are available. I would be able to accommadate a few up to 100-150 or so. Wanting to also see if there would be anyone interested in putting on some type of demonstration(s) and also considering a swap meet area also. Any and all input would be appreciated.

cozee

Also, time wise, I was thinking more of one of those dreary winter days when there isn't much to do outside (Except snowmobiling!!) Perhaps sometime after the first of the year. Plus, I'd like to see if I could generate support/sponsorship of any kind. I've domnne something like this a few times with my former hobby and had a great event each time. I'd like to try it with my new hobby. Of course, it is those in anntendance which determine the success of an event!! And from what I've seen from the boards, no matter the number, any in attendence will make it a good event!!

low_48

I like the idea of a blank swap/sale. I can demo corn cob pens, double dovetail pens, reading the bark and cutting logs for figure, or laser engraving.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I also like the idea of pen blank sales, and I can bring my own lathe, prepared to do demos of turning acrylic pens and bottlestoppers and kaleidoeggs (if there is interest in expanding beyond pens, otherwise, I DO turn pens!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom