Microsoft employee - JUST RUDE!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I got a call today from Microsoft. The heavily, accented man on the phone told me that they had detected a virus on my computer. "Oh my God!?" I exclaimed. "What should I do? Please help me before my computer blows up!" The man assured me that he would rid my computer of the virus and began giving me detailed, step by step instructions for me to follow. Of course I was so rattled I was stuttering, shouting and in a state of panic. He had me verify my computer was turned on and I confirmed I could see my desktop. We went back and forth for 2 - 3 minutes with me getting more excited and him doing his best to calm me and help me restore my computer to health. Finally, when I told him that all the characters on my virtual keyboard had just turned into Chinese symbols, undoubtedly a result of the horrible virus, the Microsoft employee became very irate and yelled at me, "You (referred to me as someone who makes love to mothers)! You are a (further described me as someone who tells falsehoods while engaged in acts of intimacy)!" Then he hung up on me. The nerve of him! Just plain Rude!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I hope he calls back. I might still have the virus. :rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

I got a call today from Microsoft. The heavily, accented man on the phone told me that they had detected a virus on my computer. "Oh my God!?" I exclaimed. "What should I do? Please help me before my computer blows up!" The man assured me that he would rid my computer of the virus and began giving me detailed, step by step instructions for me to follow. Of course I was so rattled I was stuttering, shouting and in a state of panic. He had me verify my computer was turned on and I confirmed I could see my desktop. We went back and forth for 2 - 3 minutes with me getting more excited and him doing his best to calm me and help me restore my computer to health. Finally, when I told him that all the characters on my virtual keyboard had just turned into Chinese symbols, undoubtedly a result of the horrible virus, the Microsoft employee became very irate and yelled at me, "You (referred to me as someone who makes love to mothers)! You are a (further described me as someone who tells falsehoods while engaged in acts of intimacy)!" Then he hung up on me. The nerve of him! Just plain Rude!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I hope he calls back. I might still have the virus. :rolleyes:

I think he was upset because those were Mongolian characters (close to Chinese). You really should hit redial and try the whole again. :biggrin:

gimpy

Good one, I too receive these calls and keep them on the line as long a possible. I told him the my wife left me, my girl friend is moving in, my dog cot ran over by a car, and I'm having issues and thinking about jumping off the bridge, OH, DON'T DO THAT HE SAID, I'm very concerned for you he told me, then he started to talk computers again, and I said see, I don't have any friends and you call, and I got happy that I thought you cared, and I started to cry and said Bye, I'm walking down to the bridge, so there is no need for you to call any more, cause I won't be here any more, then I hung the phone up

TonyL

My son and I have received and made such calls, however, none of them have been from or to MSS (I am not defending MS, I am just relating my experience). They have been from purported 3rd party "authorized" MS or Apple service support. The ones that have called me or that I have called (accidently, looking genuine MS or Apple support) very often appear on top of a browser search. They either legally or illegally use the MS or Apple (Acer, Asus, Lenova, etc.) logos to bolster their legitimacy. Each of my calls (and my son's) started with an annual fee/subscription of 179 or 189 to keep my each system humming. After an objection, I have been offered 139 or something like that. I also noticed that several of the calls came from Canadian area codes (and some cell phone companies charge a premium for making or receiving such out of country calls. I am not making any generalizations, I am just advising all of my experience. It sounds like the OP's experience was not the same, but similar to mine. We never allowed them to help.

mecompco

One of my client's, a very nice older gentleman, got that call. Of course, he let the unknown fellow connect to his computer and "work" on his computer for 20-odd minutes--who wouldn't? Sadly, when he refused to pay the requested amount for the "technical support", the Crypto-lock type payload dropped. Then, I got a phone call.

As I was re-formatting his hard drive, I asked him what he would do if he and his wife were getting ready to leave the house and an unknown person showed up at the door claiming to be a pest-control worker who had detected termites in the attic and told them he would take care of the problem while they were out for a while. He got the point.

Seer

I did the same thing only told them that I worked for Microsoft in the Security division
Click was all I heard when I asked where he was located

BKind2Anmls

My first question when I get these phone calls is:

1. Do you believe in God?

My second is:

2. Do you think He is happy with you scamming people?

I'm usually met with silence.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Generally speaking if anyone callx my home phone and their name or phone number is one I don't recognize or says "private caller" or "not available" for their number the phone gets answered by the answering machine. 99% of the time they don't leave a message.

Jim Smith

I get those same calls all too often and I have to assume that they are successful or they wouldn't keep the scam going, which quite frankly I find amazing. I sometimes wish I had the technical ability to have a separate computer set aside just for them to have access to. When they connected to that computer it would infect them with the newest nasty computer virus out there, one that spreads across their network (assuming that they operate on one) replicates and changes and with every key stroke. Instead, I just hang up on them as soon as they say who they are, hoping that they will take me off of their call list.

Jim Smith

duncsuss

I hope he calls back. I might still have the virus. :rolleyes:

Nicely done :wink:

I kept one of those helpful guys on the line for close to 20 minutes: "Sorry, it's taking a longer time than normal to boot up, do you think it's the virus?" and so on.

He was very concerned that I wasn't seeing the same things on my screen that he said I should be seeing, so we waited a while longer for it to reboot.

He got a little cranky when I eventually asked him if the Windows virus he was trying to fix could also have infected my Macbook.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It is ironic but my wife used one of those "remote access" repair services and he did fix her problem (actually the first guy she talked to didn't but another guy came on and did) and she has called them a second time and they fixed it that time too. BUT they did not contact her first she called them.

edicehouse

I called my grandmother about this sort of thing a couple years ago, and stated computer companies do not call to notify you of a problem. Well 2 hours later I got the call from one stating they were from Microsoft and detected a virus on my computer, and I called them a "someone who tells falsehoods while engaged in acts of intimacy". I said I don't have a computer at home, nor do I have internet service at home, so how do I have this problem.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
BUT they did not contact her first she called them.

That's the difference between a "remote access repair service" and a scammer who is trying to take control of your computer for their own ends.

I agree. I too have used remote access services to repair my computer. But, I contacted them and knew them to be legitimate.

Take this to the bank: No software company, computer manufacturer, Internet Service Provider, Cable Company or anyone else will call you to advise you of a problem with your computer. If you get such a call they are trying to scam you. Period. No Exceptions.

Oh, and by the way, the IRS will not call to inform you over the phone that a lawsuit has been filed against you either. Also, no bank or credit card company will ever call you and ask for your account number. :)

Last edited:

tcjones

Spot on mbroberg ! As well, Norton will not fix your virus( microsoft crap, I think they make the virus). I bought an apple 5 years ago , have never paid for an antivirus , zero problems.

Last edited:

Rick_G

My neighbour got one of those calls and gave the guy access to her computer. While he was doing his thing she called me from her cell phone and told me about it. I asked her if he was still on it and she said yes, I sort of yelled at her and told her to pull the plug "NOW" she did and I went over later that afternoon and spent a few hours helping her change all her passwords and cleaning up any junk he installed. At least now when she gets these calls she just hangs up.

tbroye

I usually get a series of them once or twice a year and play along for awhile, then after they have control of my computer I tell them it isn't plugged it. On occasions I ask them to wait a sec I will get my IT person to handle it I know nothing. Let one of the Grandkids have fun not her like a coule of wise arse Teenagere to get them ticked.

Top Bottom