Micrometer Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drawknife

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawknife

First time I've posted to this forum hope I do it right. Had a broken micrometer and what else can a pen turner do,, gotta make a pen out of it. 2'-3' mic, Molten Metal acrylic from Rockler, Black Titanium nib and transmission from a slimline. Any comments are welcome, is this getting too far off the pen turners path? Whats the oddest thing you've seen a pen made of this Halloween?
tn_micropen4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

guts

Looks to me like you are right on track for this forum,good looking pen,lots of odd things here but I think the PICKLE is the #1.

drawknife

Yes, the larger knurled part turns while the small section stays stationary just like it did when it actually was a measuring device.

Firefyter-emt

Originally posted by drawknife
<br />Yes, the larger knurled part turns while the small section stays stationary just like it did when it actually was a measuring device.

Ok, but did you really get it to work the pen transmission too, ot is it a nib feed? If you feed it with the top mic. parts, that is awesome!

drawknife

Yes, the larger part turns the transmission the small mic measuring section stays stationary. It works and turns just like it did when it was a functioning micrometer except it doesn't advance it just turns, takes about .015 of an inch on the dial to push out the pen. I can take a photo with the control end pulled off if that would be of interest.

THarvey

Originally posted by drawknife
<br />Yes, the larger part turns the transmission the small mic measuring section stays stationary. It works and turns just like it did when it was a functioning micrometer except it doesn't advance it just turns, takes about .015 of an inch on the dial to push out the pen. I can take a photo with the control end pulled off if that would be of interest.

Photos would be helpful. My Dad was a machinist. If he sees this, I am on the hook for one.[:D]

drawknife

Heres the only photo I had taken of it apart. There is turned wood in the larger section of the mic handle with a slimline tube that fits over the transmission. If anybody is interested I can break down the parts and how they fit together.

200711113637_micropen_apart.jpg

Rifleman1776

You are right on track with penturner/maker status here. I generally do not comment favorably about non-wood pens but your ingenuity rates a big

200711114329_thumbs%20up.jpg
<br />

To boot, you are maintaining the centuries old tradition of craftsmen making their own tools. I like.

drawknife

Appreciate all the kind comments, and I'll try to keep the R&D turning. I'll try to use more wood next time Rifleman[8D]. Paul don't be throwing your mic's in the floor.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think it's great too, especially as you managed to make it operate the tranny. Top marks for sure.[:)]

drawknife

You know redfishsc I have about 3-4 more mics that aren't working properly if I knew anything about duck calls maybe. That way you could let the duck call to the type of duck you are calling. .020 for a mallard,,, .050 for a wood duck.. etc... [:D]

drawknife

You are completely right about the weight. I am already planning what to make the desk holder out of. It is a little bit heavier than a cigar pen. I carried it in my pocket the first day I had it finished. It was ok, but more than I was use to. I normally carry a Classic Parker style pen. I have a smaller internal mic handle that would probably be more suitable for the pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom