Micromesh grits....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

opfoto

Having just received my order from Daniels' group buy on the MM has brough me to my newest dilema. I got the complete set as required in my chosen size. And I am very happy with the way it all came together but....the problem is where do I stop with regular paper and start with MM. Some threads state that 1500mm = 400g etc. Is there a Micromesh conversion guide for dummies out there? Or did I miss the boat on this one totally. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Marc,
1500 micro mesh is roughly the same as 400 grit sandpaper. you can stop withthe sandpaper at 320 and use the MM as the next step. I say you can!
I just so happen to sand with the 400 grit as well. then use the 1500 MM. probably repeating a step here but i have a reson for this. I consider the turning and sanding is rough preperation for finishing. or shaping the wood. the Micro Mesh begins the "Finishing" or polishing. and having my last shaping stage and my first Polishing stage close to the same grit seems good to me. can't prove it but makes since to my twisted mind.
anouther way to look at it is when you switch to the MM you have started a new process. and the sequence of steps in Sandpaper do not necessarily carry over to the MM. start the MM with the best surface you can prepair for it.

Gary

The instructions I received from Micro Mesh say that MM1500 is roughly equal to sandpaper grit #600.

Deere41h

Check out this site. They have a conversion chart for the different grits.

https://www.micro-surface.com/default.cfm?page_id=174

Thumbs

Thanks guys! You are a font of unending wisdom! [^] Smart,too! [}:)][:eek:)]

<b>BTW</b>, <b>Thanks, Daniel</b>, I got my M/M yesterday![:D][:D][:D]

MDWine

OK, now how long do you sand with a particular grit?

Let's say I've sanded to a very good surface with 400.
(For the sake of argument, wood is Bocote)

How long, how many 'strokes', with MM, and would you go all the way down to 12000?

TIA!!

JimGo

Michael,
Depends on whether you're talking about sanding with or against the grain. Sanding against the grain (i.e. with the lathe on), I sand for progressively less time as I work up through the higher grits, whether its sandpaper/Abranet or Micromesh. You may find that when you turn the lathe off and sand with the grain, you'll need to spend more time with the 1500 grit MM than the others, because of the way MM is made. It has a more even particle distribution, which makes it less likely to leave a big honkin' scratch in the finish, so once you've used it to sand out the other scratches, it gets easier. Plus, in my (admittedly limited) experience, as you get to the higher MM grits, all you're doing is putting the cherry on top of the icecream sundae - if you press too hard, or sand too long, you'll work through all the effort from the previous grits. Granted, it will take you a while to go deep into the wood with the finest grit MM, but still, I don't like to leave the MM on the blank for TOO long.

So, after the long-winded answer, my short answer is that I spend about 30-45 seconds at the larger grit levels, and in some cases 10-15 seconds with the smaller grit levels.

Again, this is my experience; I am curious to see what the others say.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by MDWine
<br />OK, now how long do you sand with a particular grit?

Let's say I've sanded to a very good surface with 400.
(For the sake of argument, wood is Bocote)

How long, how many 'strokes', with MM, and would you go all the way down to 12000?

TIA!!
Since sanding is, in its most basic form, replacing large scratches with smaller scratches, it is difficult to put a number of strokes or duration on sanding at any one grit.

An initial sanding, whether you start at 60 grit or 320 grit, is primarily used to get rid of tool marks (although some will use sanding as a shaping tool as well). Your first grit will leave scratches within the range of the grit.

The second grit you use will be finer, thus replacing 60 grit scratches with 80 grit scratches. This happens all the way through the grits...even up to 12000. In general, I find that 30 seconds with the lathe running is sufficient to prep the surface for the next higher grit. Your eye is a better gauge than your watch, though. Also, I find that my horizontal (lathe off) sanding takes a bit more time at each step.

For a detailed discussion of sanding, check out http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/finish2.shtml . Although Russ only discusses sanding through 400 grit in this article, the rules apply through whatever grit you choose.

Daniel

I've never wet sanded with it. but would think it would help get an even better polish.
as for how long to sand with each mesh.
this is my "How I Do It Hope You Get It" or in acronym
HIDIHYGI. explanation.
Ahem.
I hold the mesh lightly from under the blank, light pressure if you can even call it pressure. this allows me to actually see the polish on the upper side of the blank. I work from right to left but that is preference. so that I can see the definite line of difference in the finish. I work from one end of the balnk to the other. then repeat. when I no longer see that difference in the finish. that particualr mesh has done all it is going to do for that particualar blank. I then shut off the lathe and sand lengthwise on the blank (only up to 4000 mesh). then proceed to the next mesh.
SO what is this time wise. I can work the mesh from one end of the blanks to the other in less than 30 seconds tops. and usually one pass gets the job done. provided I didn't do anything to fudge the polishing like touch the blank with the tip of my finger or have a difficult area in the wood itself.
it is a quick process but adds up due to being 9 sheets to work through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom