michigan maple patriot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent made this kit in probably two years, but I just found a short piece of a maple burl that a friend cut and gave to me from his property in northern Michigan. I have been letting it dry about a year and a half. Here are two views. I think it came out ok.

728_blk%20chr%20patriot,%20michigan%20maple%20burl.jpg

blk%20chr%20patriot,%20michigan%20maple%20burl%202.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cozee

Sweet! I like that for the most part you kept the body of the pen symetrical to the nib. I should be receiving my first Polaris kits tomorrow and am exicted to get them after seeing your pen.

cozee

Originally posted by JudeA
<br />Great looking wood. Good finish. Is that a polaris kit???

The easiest way to tell is the knurled band on the finial. The Patriot has a single wide one as seen where the Polaris has two smaller ones.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by oobak
<br />I think it came out ok.

Your kidding right?

Beautiful piece of wood and nice depth of finish. That's a pen I would be proud to have in my collection.

I use deft brush on lacquer after two years of wasting my time trying to perfect the CA finish or friction polish. I still use CA as a filler while sanding. This finish is two coats done in an hour and let cure for 24-48 hours. I have yet to have a pen lose its shine, which happened almost immediately after a friction polish or soon after the CA.
The practice of getting the stroke down without leaving dust or streaks is well worth the time. You must do the finishing in as dust free of an environment as possible, not in your shop. I have a pen stand that i cover with an old cake lid to prevent airborn dust from getting at it.

Glenn

Originally posted by rapost
<br />Beautiful work from beautiful wood!!

Can you give us any details on the finish??

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom