Mica Colors?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Ok, im a newbie to casting and was looking at the mica powders at coastal scent and after looking at the all different whites, not sure which one to start with. So i guess my question is which white? Was thinking about the snowfall white and the pearl white, but dont want 2 whites that are just a shade different. Also, same deal with the silver.
Any help would be greatly appreiated
Thank You
Harry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
There was a big thread recently about this. I took advantage of the 20% sale at CS and scored huge!!! Also mentioned was the need to "Whamo" the CS colors up a bit with some Pearl Ex. After receiving a titanic amount of stuff from CS...I may need more PE to get a cool effect. Price to quantity ratio...CS is unbeatable.
Now to your question:wink::tongue:...You may want to grap some Powder coating powder, white of course, from HF...about $5-8. Mix some pearl white, interference blue, or what have you in the white and have a lash.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You can always get a teaspoon sample of each and see which of the colors you prefer. Or buy huge amounts of all of them and go wild.

longbeard

Thanks Jim, i have some pearl ex coming in a day or so.

Mike, thought about the teaspoons but i kinda like the " go hog wild " thing

PedroDelgado, antique silver is on the list, thanks. and what do you mean by "heavy"

Brooks803

My favorite white is the Ultra Silk. It's nice and bright. The pearl white has a slight silver tone to it (to my eye anyhow).

For a silver you can always mix a pearl white and pearl black together. Gives you a larger range of shades available. Plus the whites and blacks are much cheaper when bought in bulk.

Justturnin

All of them...... I have been buying up a lot of Costal scents colors. I went ahead and got the full ounce becasue it typically only cost a couple dollars more than the sample. I have not gotten into Custom mixing but it is coming becasue I cant find the colors I want. I have some PR left over since I switched to alumilite that I am going to test mixes and keep notes on how I achieved said color. Then I will have a small plug of each color I make for reference. Coastal scents has a big sampler you can get to get a feel for the colors. A little goes a long way so it will last.

longbeard

i got mine from blick art for $4.03 each
@ $3.85 that seems pretty good
just out of curiosty, i clicked on 16 different colors and the price went to $ 3.49 each

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
I'm ordering some mica powders from CS this evening, but didnt know they had pearl ex too, unless im over looking it.

Not at all...CS has mica powder. Pearl Ex has powdered pigments. PE has more BAM!! while CS has a more subdued tone, but still opalescent. Combining the two really saves money big time!! And CS has more colors; the one ounce size is huge!! I have dozens of the PE 3gm jars...I could put most of them in a CS jar. Now!!! I have yet to cast anything with CS...to cold. Maybe this weekend. They have sales several times a year so stocking up is a good idea!

Justturnin

Watch out for the CS Glitter. I got some of them and they are clear. Gotta mix it w/ some color or depend on what color you reverse paint you blank with the show up. I guess if you actually plan for it you can achieve some interesting depth but just know that it is clear.

Top Bottom