Metal lathes??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
I'm looking into getting a metal lathe and I've seen over the past several months, others on here were considering purchasing a metal lathe.
I was hoping to get some input from these people and any others with experience. Ant recommendations on brand? Are the HF lathes any good? What should I look for in a decent lathe? I'm not planning any heavy duty use, just small custom pieces.
Thanks for any advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

James; it really depends on your budget, nearly all of the 7x10, 7x12 lathes are pretty much the same, I have an 8 year old Jet 9x20 that is identical to a friends HF 9x20 other than color and price. I use the heck out of mine, as does he.
The Taig is a good SMALL machine, on your bench for around 250.00 with no accessories, well tooled about 600.00, for the same money you can get the HF 9x20, Grizzly also has good lathes in the same ball park, from what I've heard the Lathemaster 8 in lathes are excellent,but they cost around a grand delivered.
With the Taig or Sherline threading is cost prohibitive, on the 7x// Chinese lathes you have to exercise caution on the speed control they tend to go out if you turn the lathe on with the dial turned up.
Grizzly 9x20 comes with a 3 jaw universal chuck and a 4 jaw independent chuck as well as a backplate and a good MT2 live center, HF is the same except no 4 jaw independent chuck, regardless of what lathe you get you will have to nearly disassemble it to clean the rust preventative grease off, and possibly file a couple edges off of rough castings, I didn't have any casting junk on my Jet, but it's nearly double the price of HF or Grizzly, I helped one of my students set up his HF lathe and there were a few places that had to be cleaned up, mostly holes that had casting flash, nothing serious.
All I have is my metal lathe, and a cnc mill, and they both work well on wood too.
For the money, I would go with Grizzly unless you go for one of the 7x// sizes, or if your close to a HF pick it up at their store and save freight, but the 4 Jaw Chuck wit a Grizzly is a great thing when you need it..

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Most of the small metal lathes are quite similar and made in the same factory in China. The best deal because of the accessories is the Cummins 7 x 12. Its all you need for pens and more and a great tool to learn on if one day you want to upgrade to something larger. I make most of my pens on it now, wood or plastic, closed end or with bushings. Have also made bushings in steel and delrin, pin chucks and a few other neat tools. One testimony to these is that you don't see many on the used market. They may not be the fastest or most versatile, but are very capable and great value for the money. They really expand pen making capabilities. Current price is $399 + shipping but be prepared to spend another $100 to $200 on tools and accessories depending on what you already may have.

jcollazo

MikeM and I have been trading emails about the Microlux 7x14 metal lathe. He got his last week and I'm ordering mine next week. For me, getting the longest bed I could afford means that I just might have this lathe for a longer time than if I bought a 7x10 or 7x12. The fact that it is set up for imperial rather than metric measurements is a plus.

Here's a link that gives a comparison between different models. I should add that these smaller Chinese made models are pretty much made in the same factory.
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Info/minilathe_compare.php

randyrls

Originally posted by DozerMite

I'm looking into getting a metal lathe and I've seen over the past several months, others on here were considering purchasing a metal lathe.
I was hoping to get some input from these people and any others with experience. Ant recommendations on brand? Are the HF lathes any good? What should I look for in a decent lathe? I'm not planning any heavy duty use, just small custom pieces.
Thanks for any advice.

James; Most of the metal lathes are made by the same folks in China. The real differences is in the extras, and shipping. These lathes typically need tweaking to get the best accuracy and performance from them. Metalworking has a whole other mind-set from woodworking.

Go over to YAHOO and check out the 7x12minilathe and 9x20lathe Groups. Check out the File sections there. Look for a file called

Your choices are either 7x, 8x, or 9x.
7x (mini-lathe) is small and compact, has variable speed.
8x don't know much about these machines.
9x

Woodworking lathe chucks and metalworking lathe chucks use different threads, and I have not been able to find adapters for the two. I would *LOVE* to be proven wrong though.

Checkout the "Learning Center" and Reference section on www.littlemachineshop.com

To bed now.....

DozerMite

Banned
Thanks for the replies.

Ken, I was looking at the Lathemaster and it's very nice, however, the prices are as you said. A little much right now. I think the Taig is a little too small. I will use it for other projects besides pens. As for accessories, I know I will need some, but I think I should get them as needed and as money permits.

Bruce, I looked at the Cummins. After delivery costs, I think I can get one at HF with the coupon cheaper and have some extra for an accessory or two.

Joe, thanks for the comparison link, very helpful. Kind of what I figured... they are all the same.

I would like to have the 7x12, but I think the 7x10 will work for now. There is a $120.00 price difference between them. I have a HF about 20 minutes from me so I will go check them out tomorrow and maybe save the delivery costs.
Thanks again gentlemen. You have been very helpful.

Top Bottom