Metal Lathe and Tru Stone Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I do not have a metal lathe, but have turned quite a few Tru-stone blanks on a wood lathe. It is enjoyable and yields great results. What is key, in my mind, is to use a carbide insert type tool, because the Tru-stone (Gemstone) material is both hard, and apparently abrasive. HSS tools need repeated sharpening to complete a single blank. Carbide stands up to the task.

Wright

Thanks Steve, carbide tool lot cheaper than a metal lathe. Never tried Tru-Stone as I am a new turner and doing wood now but I love the look of Tru-Stone.

IPD_Mr

Actually the lathe doesn't matter the tool does. Carbide seems to do very well for me and I use a skew as well but find I have to touch up the edge quite frequently.

bruce119

Heck if you got the metal lathe use it.

I use my mini metal lathe for ALL my pen turnings. Put a cutting bit in the tool holder that gets you to round real fast. Then switch to wood tools to bring into final shape. I find it much easer and faster to make pens on the metal lathe.

One note just be sure and get a rubber boot for your forward/reverse switch if you don't have one. Found out the hard way after replacing a few they don't like fine dust getting into them.

Wright

Thank you all for the wonderful information on tru-stone cutting. When I get to my next step, I'll certainly try the tru-stone.

Lamar

MattTheHat

I don't have a wood lathe, but I turned a TruStone blank tonight on my metal lathe. :) Sugi with black flavor. They sure turn nice.

-Matt

Rfturner

Trustone is easy to turn such as the Turquoise with HSS wood tools. If you want to turn the Yellow Dino Bone trustone, It is not easily done unless you upgrade to carbide. it is essentially turning a rock with a little resin in it.

BKelley

Given the choice of turning tru-stone on a metal lathe or wood lathe, I'll use the metal lathe. A carbide cutter is not necessary, the HSS cuter sharpened with proper angle will do wonders. As for black tru-stone check the IAP Pen Turning Forum for my post "Black and Gold Navigator".

Ben

okiebugg

???????

Actually the lathe doesn't matter the tool does. Carbide seems to do very well for me and I use a skew as well but find I have to touch up the edge quite frequently.

While I would never disagree with an experienced turner, I've been turning for many years and have found that there is a difference au'contrere.
The most experienced turner still translates differing pressures to the blank beingturned....thus....and this is only MY experience, turning some things are less fraught with breakage using the metal lathe. Granted, using Carbide tools does in fact help a less experienced turner, but the amount of pressure exerted upon the tool varies from person to person. I happen to be 'heavy' handed or 'ham' handed (large hands) and over the years have broken a few blanks.

The metal lathe replaces the hands with a consistency of even pressure so long as your bites with the ML aren't too deep. Tru-stone turns like melted butter. granted a few more passes with the ML, but the time expelled is roughly equal. It might take a little more time to set up the metal lathe to do the first blank.

I am however old fashioned and anything can and should be turned by hand! On larger orders of exotics, my spouse and I set up a conveyor. She drills and glues, I use the metal lathe and she and I sand to get those orders out.....Thanks

Spalted pithy wood turns easier within limits

BKelley

I use a metal lathe to turn all my pens. In the past I used a wood lathe, but prefer the metal lathe especially for tru stone. I use a regular HSS cutter sharpened to the proper angle and have had no problem with cutter dulling. I believe that the HSS wood lathe chisels are of a different alloy and compostiton than the metal lathe tool.
Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

Ben

Top Bottom