Messed up large today :(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jharvey1309

I've notice that the center band and ring don't fit snug enough on all four El grande pens that I have made. I'm not sure if it's something I've done or it's an issue with the manufacturing of the product.

Either way today I decide that I would apply a bit of epoxy inside the tube of the center band so that there was no way of them coming loose on a customer. Now heres where the story gets interesting. I put the lids back on and and put the pens away proud of myself for fixing them. This evening I went to check on them to see how well I had done and found that all of my lids were stuck on (what an idiot) :) What happened I guess is that when I pressed the center band back onto the tube it must have pushed the residual epoxy further up the tube then once I put the lids back they came in contact with the epoxy, thus stuck lids.

I've learned my lesson, and honestly I think this is the best way to learn. I've fixed the pens from spare parts so all but one pen were saved.

I hope that someone can learn from my mistake.

Jonathan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stoneman

Someone will learn from your mistakes - and mine - and everyone elses - maybe???

Who was it that said, "Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself."

M

monkeynutz

I thought I made a mistake once, but apparently I was in error... ;)

Elliott

I recently made a similar mistake. I glued my twist mechanism such that it ... well ... no longer twists. Good shop pen though. [:p]

-E

redfishsc

Lol, I've nailed large pieces of plywood to the workbench before[B)][B)][B)][B)].

I was making an 8' desktop (which I'm now using as I type). I cut the 8'X2' plywood top and ran some 4" wide ply strips along the edges of the underside to build it up to 1 1/2" thick. The only problem was I had 2.5" nails in the nail gun, not the 1 1/4" nails. Not easy to pull an 8' board nailed to an 8' table with 20 nails.

dntrost

did something similar with a couple of cigar punches I made for a friend but using locktight the caps kept coming (tiny little cap & spring) so I in my infinate wisdom put just a tiny drop of locktight on the threads and was convince I solved the problem...until.. a hour later tried to push the top (which is the ejecter for the cigar scraps and found it would not budge! [V] It took a hammer and some swearing to get it unstuck then a lot fo work to get rid the remnants of the locktight! We all live and learn at least here hopefully we can learn from others!!! [:0]

Top Bottom