mesquite thin stem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from David Keller

David Keller

Lupe Duncan(el_d) was kind enough to send me some mesquite a little while back, and it seemed perfect for turning one of these forms. It's the first time I've worked with mesquite, but it won't be the last... This stuff turns like butter, and the inherent stability of it can't be beat.

This is about 10 inches tall, and it's finished with shellac and a few coats of WOP. I turned it green and waited about a week before applying the finish.

Thanks Lupe!

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.
mesquite-thin-stem-3.jpgmesquite-thin-stem-2.jpgmesquite-thin-stem-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greggas

Nice job David....man you must have been sweating a bit during the stem turning...at least that is what I thought until I read your profession...no wonder you have such a steady hand ! Does you insurer know you turn??:)

robutacion

Wow David,

I reckon you are testing your own limits and not the wood's, even tough, there wouldn't be many wood species that wouldn't allow you or anyone else, to reach that "ridiculously" thin steam at such length. Very well made...!:wink:

I've got a wood (#16 Black Wattle) that the smaller branches (up to 3" diameter) have an extremely tight grain and has the brown heartwood and a bright yellow on the sapwood, making it ideal for that sort of work.

Once I started a competition on AWWF here, where I supplied this wood to anyone that wanted to make a "goblet" and enter a challenge for the best made/looking piece. The entries were crazy and the results were spectacular but, I haven't forget either, the "flogging" I got from making a spelling mistake with the goblet word, which I wrote "gobble"...!:eek::mad::frown::biggrin:

I'm attaching some pics of those times, I' sure they won't mind me showing them...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• Forum offer 003_(1).jpg
    Forum offer 003_(1).jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Forum offer 005_(1).jpg
    Forum offer 005_(1).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Forum offer 007_(1).jpg
    Forum offer 007_(1).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Benji79-1.jpg
    Benji79-1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Frank&Earnest start pics4.jpg
    Frank&Earnest start pics4.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 106
  • HappyHammer piece1.jpg
    HappyHammer piece1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 117
  • Mrs Woopecker 5.jpg
    Mrs Woopecker 5.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Robyn2839- second series2.JPG
    Robyn2839- second series2.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 107
  • SS_11000 pice 1.jpg
    SS_11000 pice 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Switt775-1.jpg
    Switt775-1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

ctubbs

David, with talent such as that, we need to change your display name to something more appropriate, maybe something like Man of Steel. With nerves like yours must be to even think of so small stem ware, heck I've never seen even glass ware that thin and that long. WOW! Great work. If I ever need another surgeon, I truly hope he/she has hands like yours. Thanks for sharing your beautiful handy work.
Charles

Top Bottom