mesquite question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nwcatman

is it possible to "rehydrate" dried out mesquite? i have a supply and it gets older and drier everyday. maybe let it soak in a plastic tub? tired of having it split and blow apart on the lathe instead of turning ribbons.

jkeithrussell

I don't know the answer for certain, but I would think that nothing will reverse the cracking or splitting that already occurred. Soaking the blanks in water will cause the fibers to expand which will more than likely cause more splitting.

Your best bet might be to cast the blanks in resin under pressure. Alternatively, you might just turn them down and fill in the cracks and voids with crushed stone or a mixture of sawdust/ca. Filling the cracks with thin CA before turning will also help.

I use thin Ca and coat the inside of the tube hole and then redrill. I also have coated the blank several times as I turned it. Makes for some interesting figuring. I liken it to spalted wood and actually it is spalted. Have a cou;e on the bench now ready for installing the tubes and then on to turning. Very nice wood and very pretty when finished.
Grandpa Grizzly

nava1uni

You might also try soaking it in Minwax hardener. Submerge it for several days and then let it dry before you try turning it. It does make quite a difference in soft wood.
Cindy

Top Bottom