Mesquite Burl 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Seer

Seer

I am debating whether to keep this one in my collection or put a large price on it so it won't sell lol. I have enclosed pictures of the 2 blanks part way through turning to show you what I had to work with and what eventually to my excitement was something totally unique in quite few ways for me. I hope you like it and thank you Maxman I owe you big time (He sent me some small boards from a tree he cut down and I was able to send some to Bruce (Simmotra) Bruce more on the way.
I put this on a Black TI Kit from Rockler (instructions called it a rhodium) don't know but I like this one alot.

Attachments

• IMG_4581.jpg
    IMG_4581.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_4583.jpg
    IMG_4583.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 259
  • Mesquite Burl A.jpg
    Mesquite Burl A.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 335
  • Mesquite Burl B.jpg
    Mesquite Burl B.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 280
  • Mesquite Burl C.jpg
    Mesquite Burl C.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 286
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

WOW! I like that one. :tongue: The small round white spots is the stems of missile-toe, I am told that it acts as a fungus and attacks the mesquite which forms the burl. :)

Jim Smith

Very nice job on "rescuing" a blank that had lots of checks and voids. You made a beautiful pen that I think you should keep in your collection.

Jim Smith

Lenny

Congratulations on creating a pen so unique that others will have to agree it's very $$$pecial in order to pry it away from you!

robutacion

As I keep repetitively saying, the best colours, effects, grain and other wood features, are ALWAYS where natural flaws and other works of nature, are.

This would be a blank that a very large number of penturners would reject, unfortunately. Most of it because, they don't know how to work with these type of material, fixing/filling/restoring/salvaging/improvising a repair in a flawed blank or wood areas, is seen a undesirable or unacceptable, making for 90% of the "best" pens to be made out of wood, not happening. The 10% left, only 5% or less are actually utilized (deliberately or not), the final 5% goes to the rubbish bin.

There are obviously, techniques/systems/processes/tricks and some very simple ways to repair ANY sort/size of flaw (natural or not), I have a great admiration for those that have the knowledge/expertise/patience/time and perseverance to perform such simple task/job and "resurrect" something some would call rubbish into a magnificent "treasure". Some of you will know what I'm talking about, some other wont but that's just life...!:wink:

With this said, would be unfair not to thing about those that would honestly like to learn how its done or, at least some of the major steps to achieve a successful wood repair or enhancement of a wood flaw, and on that regard I welcome anyone to contact me and request some "assistance" with ANY type of wood repair, for achieving the desired effect, any time...!:wink::biggrin:

Well, in regards to this pen, I thing Seer, I have already expressed what I thing, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

Well done, mate!

Cheers
George

Seer

As I keep repetitively saying, the best colours, effects, grain and other wood features, are ALWAYS where natural flaws and other works of nature, are.

This would be a blank that a very large number of penturners would reject, unfortunately. Most of it because, they don't know how to work with these type of material, fixing/filling/restoring/salvaging/improvising a repair in a flawed blank or wood areas, is seen a undesirable or unacceptable, making for 90% of the "best" pens to be made out of wood, not happening. The 10% left, only 5% or less are actually utilized (deliberately or not), the final 5% goes to the rubbish bin.

There are obviously, techniques/systems/processes/tricks and some very simple ways to repair ANY sort/size of flaw (natural or not), I have a great admiration for those that have the knowledge/expertise/patience/time and perseverance to perform such simple task/job and "resurrect" something some would call rubbish into a magnificent "treasure". Some of you will know what I'm talking about, some other wont but that's just life...!:wink:

With this said, would be unfair not to thing about those that would honestly like to learn how its done or, at least some of the major steps to achieve a successful wood repair or enhancement of a wood flaw, and on that regard I welcome anyone to contact me and request some "assistance" with ANY type of wood repair, for achieving the desired effect, any time...!:wink::biggrin:

Well, in regards to this pen, I thing Seer, I have already expressed what I thing, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

Well done, mate!

Cheers
George

Thanks George I wasn't sure I coulf make it happen after some of my trials. Took a few hours over several days to fill it and let it cure completely but in the end the results were worth it. Thanks again
Cheers
Jerry

RAdams

Banned

Well done, mate!

Cheers
George

I would have to disagree (respectfully of course!). I do agree that this is an amazing pen, made with an even more amazing piece of wood.

I think there is a small market in "fillers" alone. From crushed stones, mica powders, instant coffee, etc. etc. This market grows more every day with people casting burl cutoffs, natural edge pieces, and of course all the weird stuff people cast, banksia pods, hay, chunks of antler or ivory, money shreds, etc.

Then we get into those CRAZY EXPENSIVE blanks. If i paid $60 for a piece of wood, and found some flaws in it, I would do everything in my power to save it. Like you mentioned, Those flaws are what add all the beauty.

ps.. I have a $25 Hickory Burl blank in my shop that is the ugliest thing you have ever seen. it is crooked, weathered looking, rough, and just ugly all around... It has to be the ugliest blank in my shop, but i know it will more than likely make one of the nicest pens i have ever made. Maybe i will dig it out and finally make a pen out of it!

ctubbs

Seer, great pen. Congratulations on your success with difficult wood. Great photos, too. By the way on pricing, I have a friend that used to own a Steerman bi-plane. the operative word here is used to own. Someone convienced him to hang a price on it one day and even though the price was completely out of site, the other man flew away on Howard's prized possession. Be very careful when pricing something as precious as your wonderful pen. Just my $0.02.
Charles

RAdams

Banned
Seer, great pen. Congratulations on your success with difficult wood. Great photos, too. By the way on pricing, I have a friend that used to own a Steerman bi-plane. the operative word here is used to own. Someone convienced him to hang a price on it one day and even though the price was completely out of site, the other man flew away on Howard's prized possession. Be very careful when pricing something as precious as your wonderful pen. Just my $0.02.
Charles

no, no, no, no.....two cents just isn't enough for that pen!:biggrin:

I crack myself up:eek::rolleyes:

ctubbs

Charles

no, no, no, no.....two cents just isn't enough for that pen!:biggrin:

But, but but that is all I've got after I started turning pens!
:redface::rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

IPD_Mrs

If you want to keep it - just do so. I have lost more than one pen that I thought I had a high enough price on that it "just wouldn't sell" and I could "keep it around" when I couldn't quite make up my mind and sometimes the Mr. keeps telling me I can't "keep them all" :rolleyes:. That is a nice looking pen after all !!

robutacion

I would have to disagree (respectfully of course!). I do agree that this is an amazing pen, made with an even more amazing piece of wood.

I think there is a small market in "fillers" alone. From crushed stones, mica powders, instant coffee, etc. etc. This market grows more every day with people casting burl cutoffs, natural edge pieces, and of course all the weird stuff people cast, banksia pods, hay, chunks of antler or ivory, money shreds, etc.

Then we get into those CRAZY EXPENSIVE blanks. If i paid $60 for a piece of wood, and found some flaws in it, I would do everything in my power to save it. Like you mentioned, Those flaws are what add all the beauty.

ps.. I have a $25 Hickory Burl blank in my shop that is the ugliest thing you have ever seen. it is crooked, weathered looking, rough, and just ugly all around... It has to be the ugliest blank in my shop, but i know it will more than likely make one of the nicest pens i have ever made. Maybe i will dig it out and finally make a pen out of it!

I'm having a hard time trying to work out why you say you disagree (respectfully of course!), I have read you post 4 times and every time I do I interpret it with the same sentiment as I have is regards to the subject, I may be missing something and I'm sure you will clarify that for me, huh...???:wink:

While repairing a flaw in a very expensive blank (yes, even those have flaws...!:biggrin:) can signify recovering its initial cost or just be put a side as "a bad blank", a great number of very special blanks are from woods that one wouldn't call "top woods" (whatever that may mean...! the ones which people pay more money for them...??? not always I reckon...!:confused:).

The filling of large areas with resins and other additives, those I call Resifills (my made ones), Worthless wood blanks or any other name these can have, are not in this category, they have a category on their own so, my post/response has more to do with the example Seers had shown us.

Some of these "repairs" need to follow a matching colour (contrast wouldn't work) and structure of the raw material they are in, this is where the experience and knowledge come to hand, is like rebuilding a badly damage old paint or statue, without leave any signs/marks of repair or at least something that will not under value the original qualities and or structure, either natural or not...!

So, in the end, I read from your response to my post that, you "value" those blanks as much as I do...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Seer

The fills were using the shavings from the blanks. I just pack the voids and use thin CA to flood it as I learned here. I have seen light shavings actually turn black like they did in this piece.

Top Bottom