Memorization Tips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipusnr

How do you all remember not only what wood you've used in a pen but who and where you got it from? I keep reading that this is a XXXX burl from XXXX using a XXXX kit from XXXX and finished with XXXX, XXXX and XXXX.

If I don't have a sharpee with me when I get the wood to write it on the blank - I don't have a chance. Sometimes the kit bags are marked when I get them and that helps.

But grab bags, and found or donated woods usually fall into that's pretty and that's firewood. I just got my tubes from Wayne and he threw in some blanks (Thanks, Wayne). Two were marked, one I recognized and the rest were beautiful woods to be identified later.

What is your secret?!?[:0]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Efletche

In reference to the kits, I usually get all of mine from woodturningz, with just a few exceptions. So knowing where I get my kits from is easy. Plus I keep them separated and labeled. Same with the woods. For most blanks, I only have a handfull and they fit nicely in quart size zip-lock bags. I label the bags with the type of wood. Reading other posts, I think when many of us get a nice looking blank in the mail, the impulse to turn it right then and there is strong and you usually see them posted soon after. In this case, it is very easy to remember where you got the wood from.

jkirkb94

I have little labels that I bought from Office Depot that I put on the pen once done. Mainly do this with woods that I might not remember in the future. The tags are too small to write about finishes. I have been getting in the habit of using a black or silver metallic (for darker woods) sharpie to mark my wood blanks. I have enough wood now that it is getting hard to remember what they are. I guess you could come up with some code to help remember what, where, who, etc that you could write on the blanks or on a bag for the blanks? Kirk[8D]

Fred in NC

I can relate to all this. I wish I knew more about wood identification!

I also received several VERY NICE blanks with the tubes Wayne sent me. Thanks Wayne! I will post some pen pics soon.

Kirk, are those the little tags with strings that you are talking about? I price my pens when I finish them, and the price and species goes on the tag.

My wood and blanks collection keeps growing. When I find a better way to store and identify my blanks, soon it does not work anymore. Bags, plastic boxes and drawers, etc. My garage is way too small !!!

Daniel

As for where kit came from. in time you will be able to recognize the suttle difference in one compared to the other. each supplier has ther own little something that is different. CSUSA has alot of kits withthe re little fancy A ont he clip. the Polaris from P.S.I. and the whatever it is called (just can't think of it right now)from CSUSA look like the same pen but looking closely ou will see differences. I notice it pretty readily now.
as for woods. some of them are instantly recodnizabel such as any stabalized wood from Bill.
the rest of mine I have little idea where they came from. some I have no idea what they are. most i make sure I have a marker to label them with. I put the name of the wood. and the price I paid for it. if it is from someone I am going to remember then I will.
as for the fire wood and trash that was collected. I have actually seen pens on web sights listed as "Found Wood" if anyone asks where Found Wood comes from. just tell them in alleyways and back yards around the world. say this with a sort of shocked and confused look on your face like "you have never seen an apple tree".

Tom McMillan

Yes, Bill, sometimes I have lost track of what wood I used for something---usually I'm able to figure it out going back through what I purchased---but, sometimes it just remains a mystery wood. I started buying pen kits about ten years ago---and to be honest, I've always shyed away from the pen kits with a marking like "A" or "TN" on the clip---just kind of bothered me---I know what they stand for---but, just prefer the unmarked clips.

G

As you acquire and turn different woods you will be amazed at how fast you'll be able to identify the woods.
I still take unknown stuff to different woodworkers for identification and don't feel as bad when they cannot identify it either.
I started turning last june and could not tell the difference between Cocobolo and a Cocacola case.
You'll get the hang of it.(no shame to say "I don't know but it sure is pretty!"

Randy_

Here is a web site that may help identify a wood that has lost its label or was never identified in the first place.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

wayneis

Fred and Bill I'm glad to hear that you liked the blanks that I enclosed, just my way of wishing you a very Merry Christmas. I'm sorry about not identifying all the blanks that I sent, I had planned to but I was in a hurry as I wanted to get them out to you asap. If you have any that you would like to know what they are post a pic and I can tell you.

Wayne

Rifleman1776

<<What is your secret?!?>>
My secret is a pencil. I write on the wood with an ordinary carpenters pencil. When a item is finished I use tags with strings to identify the item and also price if intended for sale.
The tags are very cheap, I buy mine at Wal-Mart.

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />How do you all remember not only what wood you've used in a pen but who and where you got it from? I keep reading that this is a XXXX burl from XXXX using a XXXX kit from XXXX and finished with XXXX, XXXX and XXXX.

If I don't have a sharpee with me when I get the wood to write it on the blank - I don't have a chance. Sometimes the kit bags are marked when I get them and that helps.

But grab bags, and found or donated woods usually fall into that's pretty and that's firewood. I just got my tubes from Wayne and he threw in some blanks (Thanks, Wayne). Two were marked, one I recognized and the rest were beautiful woods to be identified later.

What is your secret?!?[:0]

woodspinner

Walmart sells plastic bins, 5 qt. with lids for $ 0.99, that will hold 48 5" blanks. As I make most of my own blanks I find them quite useful. I put lables on the end and stack them up.

Good turning and be safe
Bill in Casa Grande, AZ.

woodpens

I use that same method for storing pen kits. I stick my labels on the end of the bins so I can read them from the front of the stacks.

J. Fred Muggs

I use the Zip-loc bag method. I do punch one or two holes in the bag to allow moisture to escape if the blanks are not fully dry. Also helps for tighter packing as the air can escape. I use the stringed tags as well. I put them on as soon as the pen is assembled.

The other technique I use is an Excel spreadsheet. I list all the woods that I have (or have had), the source, the cost, the botanical name, and I also list the page number in my much used wood identification book for ready reference. I list each of the various kits and their costs and source. I can easily find then for example: Amboyna burl cost and add Jr. Gentlemans kit fro CSUSA, and I know the costs of the finished product. I generally add additional columns to the right for each type of kit and include the selling price of that combination of wood and kit. An additional benefit to the spreadsheet is that I can easily keep up with inventory. I can quicckly assess the total value of my stock, or instantly tell which pens in what woods are sold out. I generally keep between 150 and 200 pens in around 80 or more woods in stock. Even with the spreadsheet, it's not real easy to track everything, but without it I wouldn't stand a chance.

It may sound complex, but it really is simple to setup and maintain, and it works great.

bajacrazy

As for the pen kits I went to Home Depot and bought plastic organizer boxes. Each box will have all the parts for that particular pen separated within each box. Each box has label as to what style of pen etc. Also separating all the parts for one particular pen style helps speed up the assembly process.
After turned I label each pen with tags so that it can be easily identified by color, wood and or pen style etc.
I have thousands of pen blanks in solid surface and there are at least 50 to 70 different colors around at any given time. Being that we have to separate by colors in order to box up and sell we had to make big plywood sorting bins. This all is in a back storage room that takes up about 15’ x 20’ area. Now that I started playing around with different woods I’m going to buy some smaller (6†x 15â€) stackable bins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom