Member Map - NEED YOUR HELP!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff.........THANK YOU.......this is going to make it so much easier to see where things are comming from and then give people the time it takes to get the shipping to them.

It is also going to make it so much easier to get the membership together locally. I do believe you need a STAR at Westlake, OH.
Would there be anyway to color code the vendors? That might be a nice addition.

Yes, that's possible. I will have a look.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Jeff.........THANK YOU.......this is going to make it so much easier to see where things are comming from and then give people the time it takes to get the shipping to them.

It is also going to make it so much easier to get the membership together locally. I do believe you need a STAR at Westlake, OH.

Another thing would be cool would be for you to add in a different colored something on the map to signify zip code of a local chapter!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff - will there be an option when viewing a member's profile to view them on the map?

This is very cool. Thanks for doing it.

Jim

That's not something I planned to do. There isn't an easy way to open the map zoomed on a particular marker. I'll give it some thought, though.

PR_Princess

Another thing would be cool would be for you to add in a different colored something on the map to signify zip code of a local chapter!

I really like this idea...Would be an an especially great thing for new members - to see if there was an IAP chapter close to them that they could attend.

Would it be possible to add this map, or a link to it on the Local Chapters page(s)?

And very cool Jeff!!!!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

That's certainly a possibility. The local chapter leaders would need to pick a postal code as their "anchor", but it's doable.

Let me get the map to some state of finished, then I'll consider adding that.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

I really like this idea...Would be an an especially great thing for new members - to see if there was an IAP chapter close to them that they could attend.

Would it be possible to add this map, or a link to it on the Local Chapters page(s)?

And very cool Jeff!!!!

We can put a link to it on the local chapter page.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Experimenting with multiple sets of markers...

There is a blue marker in Ohio for the Ohio Chapter. Click on it. All the essential information there? I can maintain that information for all chapters in a spreadsheet and update it when necessary.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Sorry Jeff, but those little Bic pens, instead of the balloons, just don't cut the mustard....you need to put a little icon of each member's best work.....shouldn't take you long...:biggrin:

Only two of us in the UK so far....c'mon guys...put your shire on the map..:biggrin:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry Jeff, but those little Bic pens, instead of the balloons, just don't cut the mustard....you need to put a little icon of each member's best work.....shouldn't take you long...:biggrin:

Only two of us in the UK so far....c'mon guys...put your shire on the map..:biggrin:

I agree, those are not good icons. I tried a nib, but it didn't look right either.

I will get straight to work on showing tiny personalized pen icons! :eek:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
OK some more changes to the Member Map

In the upper right of the map, next to the word "Satellite" is an arrow you can click to expand a list of markers. Then you can click those names to pop up the info balloon.

There's a legend on the bottom you can use to filter.

There an advanced search (magnifying glass) you can search all the info fields and calculate distances between markers.

There's a "Locate" function in the lower right which will zoom and center the map on wherever you like.

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
SO So COOL Jeff, really like what you are doing.:cool:

It has been enjoyable. The map software is lots of fun to tinker with, and I had to write some complicated database queries to extract the data and my brain can use the workout.

CREID

SO So COOL Jeff, really like what you are doing.:cool:

It has been enjoyable. The map software is lots of fun to tinker with, and I had to write some complicated database queries to extract the data and my brain can use the workout.
Careful, I have heard that people that work their brains too hard can lose their hair.
Curt

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I just posted an update. Thanks to all who have added their country.

Again, if you added your postal code to get on the map, I need your country as well.

MikeinSC

I updated my country. But....can you add Risa to the list for a closeted Trekkie?

Last edited:

stonepecker

This map thing is really taking shape. I can see lots of things now I was only guessing at before.
Personally, I can hardly wait till the map link is on the front page.

I really hope more of the overseas members get on the map.
It makes alot more sense when you take a peek just how far apart some of the members are.

Derek for instance.......he is all alone there and knows that it would be a challenge to come over and visit him.
But someday, he just might find a few visitors there at his door.

LOL

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
This map thing is really taking shape. I can see lots of things now I was only guessing at before.
Personally, I can hardly wait till the map link is on the front page.

I really hope more of the overseas members get on the map.
It makes alot more sense when you take a peek just how far apart some of the members are.

Derek for instance.......he is all alone there and knows that it would be a challenge to come over and visit him.
But someday, he just might find a few visitors there at his door.

LOL

The link is in the header now.

It is quite interesting to see visually where we all are.

Come on all, get your postal code and country in your profile!

I'll regenerate the map in an hour or so.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
and its not showing

The data is correct in your profile, but your pin won't show on the map until the next time it regenerates. Unfortunately, it's not a live link to our database. I have been regenerating it a few times a day. So stand by, you'll be there later.

BJohn

Jeff Great Idea, absolutely love it. Especially Once every one enters all the data, it will help new comers check to see if there is some one close that they can contact for information and help.

One thought, The importance of the postal code and country info on the profile page may be mentioned on the profile page (especially for new members) The drop down is there and it is easy enough.

One question how often will the map be regenerated?

Top Bottom