Measurement Needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregD

Has any one mesured the cap stud on the Euro style pen kits? It's evidently metric and I have no way to mesure it properly. Also, the thread per inch.
I need to make some of the inserts for the cap stud. I hate to buy a whole pen kit when all I need is the insert.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Originally posted by Geo in Winnipeg
<br />Greg, CSUSA sells Euro stype cap studs. Hope this helps

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-7053

Cool idea. To bad that shipping on 10 of them from CSUSA is 6.50. LOL.

Fangar

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Fangar
<br />
Originally posted by Geo in Winnipeg
<br />Greg, CSUSA sells Euro stype cap studs. Hope this helps

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-7053

Cool idea. To bad that shipping on 10 of them from CSUSA is 6.50. LOL.

Fangar

If you ask them to they will ship via USPS which is cheaper...

GregD

George,
Yes, I know they sell the stud. What I need is the insert the stud screws into. I need to know the size and thread per inch of the stud so I can tap the hole.

vick

Not to sound negative but I have looked into taps for some of the other CSU pen parts and they do not seem to use standard tap sizes. I know Bruce Boone had offered to make customs taps at a decent price.

link to another thread on taps
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7989&SearchTerms=,tap,for,snap,cap

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
4 mm metric will work but there is something about the threads, it seems tapered.
I use 4 mm "bolt" to make my own finials.(no shipping I get them at the hardaware store.)
Pick up a 4 mm tap and you are good to go.
I just made one last nite.
What I did origianlly was take the finial to the HW store and go to the bolt trays that have "specilized" hardware and found the one that matched.

btboone

Yup. I measured the threads at .154" outside diameter, which is 3.91mm and the pitch is somewhat strange at .7mm. It is probably supposed to be metric 4 x .7mm thread, but a #8-36 happens to be essentially the same. I have a little plastic thread checking gage that has a bunch of different holes and threads in it. The pen cap screwed right in the #8-36, so if there is a slight difference in the threads, screwing in to a depth of 1/4" or so was never a problem.

RPM

When in doubt I take the part to Ace hardware near me that actually carries individual pieces of hardware. I just go through the drawers of nuts/bolts until I find what I need. No guessing or measuring.
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom