Maybe I can Turn Pens,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I'm not sure whether my physical therapist was joking or just being a smart A$$ but she said as long as I can keep the one open wound from getting anything in it like saw dust(or sanding dust) I could work a little bit.
Next week I go back to school and relieve my former dept head while he goes on vacation, but I'm going stark raving insane just watching TV and annoying everyone here, this is the only hitch, I can only have this thing off for 30 minutes at a time. but I still have some Alternative Ivory and since it would all be wet sanded and I can use my metal lathe. I am going to try and create something, the good news is I'll only be in this mid evil device for 4 more weeks, and everything is healing up great, second good thing is the school is going to pay me tenured salary, man will that come in handy, I'll be able to buy more pen junk and a new bandsaw.

Attachments

• 111brace.jpg
    111brace.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 211
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikey

I'm kinda glad the picture really didn't get big enough to see detail when I clicked on it. Good luck healing, and if I missed it, what happened?

PTJeff

I'm not sure whether my physical therapist was joking or just being a smart A$$ ...

As a PT myself, she was probably being a smart A$$ :biggrin:. From the looks of the rig, you probably cant, or shouldn't grip anything, so she may not understand what you need to do with a chisel when you turn. I would suggest you explain to her what it is that you want to do, before you start. And the 30 min. break from it, well it's probably so you don't get palm funk.

Drop me a line if you have any questions.:glasses-nerdy:

bitshird

I'm not sure whether my physical therapist was joking or just being a smart A$$ ...

As a PT myself, she was probably being a smart A$$ :biggrin:. From the looks of the rig, you probably cant, or shouldn't grip anything, so she may not understand what you need to do with a chisel when you turn. I would suggest you explain to her what it is that you want to do, before you start. And the 30 min. break from it, well it's probably so you don't get palm funk.

Drop me a line if you have any questions.:glasses-nerdy:

Actually doing the pen on my metal lathe, I won't have to use/hold any chisels, the tool post holds the bits, since I cut two blanks before the accident, I won't have to get near a saw, now if I can avoid piercing my self with a drill bit :eek:I think I can do each half of a baron in my alloted 1/2 hour, gripping is getting better, dexterity really sucks. it may be better when they pull the pin out of the middle finger, but I got a feeling I wont be playing any Steve Vai licks for a while :frown:

Jarheaded

Ken do you really think you should use power tools? I mean look at what happened last time you decided to do something. The TV is probably a lot safer for you, just don't get too close to it...LOL

bobaltig

Now I know why my wife keeps telling me to stop biting my nails. Looks like it is/was painful pal. Sorry for your mishap. I should think you could put a plastic bag over the entire thing, put a rubber band over your wrist to seal it up, and turn away to your heart's content on your metal lathe. Just don't get the plastic bag anywhere near any moving parts on your lathe.

I had surgery last March, promptly got a staph infection, and had to have a second surgery in April to remove rotting flesh from the infection. I'm still not completely healed, but it didn't stop me from turning pens from the time I could stand for more than 10 minutes at a time. The shop was just too disgustingly clean and I had to mess it up. LOL

bitshird

I'm kinda glad the picture really didn't get big enough to see detail when I clicked on it. Good luck healing, and if I missed it, what happened?

I had piece of wood kick back that I couldn't let go of fast enough so I gave up about 1/2 inch of my index finger and tore the heck out of the top of my middle finger including the tendon :eek:

Ok, who let Freddy Kruger get a membership here?

I was actually going for the Edward Scissor Hand look :wink:

Ken do you really think you should use power tools? I mean look at what happened last time you decided to do something. The TV is probably a lot safer for you, just don't get too close to it...LOL

I had to rethink the metal lathe thing, I have it in top speed, don't want to drill at 3,000 rpm and cant change the belt easily I'll see if I can show my daughter how to change it for me, Johnnie any idea what that coil thing on the back of the picture tube does??:RockOn:

wow that looks wicked looking.

actually it isn't as bad as it looks, it's main function is to pull my fingers up, I can clench them but the middle and ring finger are supposed to let the rubber bands do the work, my grip is not bad, they say it's worse if you cut the bottom tendons, I really have no intention of finding out.. imagine all the fun you could have scaring little kids :clown:

randyrls

Now I know why my wife keeps telling me to stop biting my nails. Looks like it is/was painful pal. Sorry for your mishap. I should think you could put a plastic bag over the entire thing, put a rubber band over your wrist to seal it up, and turn away to your heart's content on your metal lathe. Just don't get the plastic bag anywhere near any moving parts on your lathe.

To join the thread; I agree about the baggie part. But I would use a velcro strap instead of a rubber band. Anything that restricts circulation while you are healing is a no-no. An extra large mitten would also be a good idea.

I sometimes wear a light cotton glove while changing saw blades etc. (NOT while tools are in use!).

Jarheaded

Johnnie any idea what that coil thing on the back of the picture tube does??

Ken, I believe it is a test module that you are supposed to lick to see if it is working properly. Let me know how that works out for you...LOL

M

monkeynutz

I was actually going for the Edward Scissor Hand look :wink:
Maybe Edward Skewchiselhands, instead...? :wink:

Jeezus, Ken. That looks just nasty... :beat-up: My backside just took a huge bite outta my chair...

Top Bottom