Maybe 3rd Time Will Be The Charm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

I tried the duct tape and cork method to cast clear around a tube wrapped in fabric. I did not get enough resin around the fabric apparently, one side I turned through the resin and the other side wasn't quite turned yet. Next I tried some molding putty to make a mold but messed up on the mold, the sides weren't quite high enough and I didn't get the tube all the way covered in resin. I did another mold last night and will try again tonight. This one had better work - I am running out of tubes to try this on.

crokett

I took the blank out of the mold. It looks better than the others, exceot there is a single air bubble traped close to the tube. :mad: Can I fill it with CA or epoxy? turn it down then cast a tiny bit of resin in it? Ir should I just write the thing off and try again?

Last edited:

Pjohnson

Dave - What style pen are you casting? I have a single tube mold that may work for you, or I can make one up.

crokett

I am casting a Mesa. I made a mold today out of 2 part rubber. It worked as far as resin not getting inside the tube. I got an air bubble got trapped under the tube and it is too close to the tube to turn it out. I am thinking of pouring the resin more slowly, or trying a vertical casting. either one should help get rid of all the air. I will probably turn the one I have and see if I can fill in the air bubble.

Top Bottom