May 2015 PITH Pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

truckfixr

I apologize for taking so long to get the pics posted. I received my pen from Flynny last week. It's an awesome Star Wars stamp themed pen. One of my all time favorites movies. Fit and finish are exceptional. Thank you so much! And thanks for the great selection of blanks. Now I just need to find the time to make use of them :)

Star Wars 1.jpg

Star Wars 2.jpg

healeydays

Whoohoo!

I just got home and had a little surprise waiting for me after work!:)

Mike Brouillette, aka healeydays, sent me his PITH and to my pleasure (entertainment?), he sent one of his famous honeycomb aluminum pens in Amber, or is it honey? :biggrin:

Sweet pen ... Finely done Mike!

Plus, he sent some other fun things for me to entertain myself with, a couple that look like lufa casts but he'll have to confirm that.

Thanks soooo much Mike!

Yours will get done this weekend. I can't wait for you to see it!

Hi Kelly,

I'm glad you like the honey colored honeycomb. I did it to get you to try the ones I gave you in an earlier PITH. The kit is a Le Roi Royale.

The blanks I sent you and you were wondering about are strips of Prickly Pear cactus. The tubes definitely need to be painted.

Mike B

mike4066

My grand daughter received her pen from Austin (son of mike4066) last week. This girl is a true blue Doctor Who fan. When she saw that it was a Dalek pen, her jaw just about hit the floor. Austin my friend, you made her one very happy Whovian :) Thank you very much. And for the wonderful blanks too.

View attachment 134687

View attachment 134688

Austin really happy she likes it. It took him a few tries to cut emboss and set the tape for the body. I think he may want to make for himself.

SteveG

Here is my belated posting of PITH Pen and blanks that I rec'd this month from Mat (IAP - Sprung). I am only posting now as I have just learned how to post pics on IAP...and I LIKE IT!

Now for this pen. It is so well done, turned from ancient Red Gum, with a Croatian postage stamp showing an Aussie Zebra Finch, and in keeping with the bird, a segment band at the top with the Aussie flag colors. Just great! And the blanks are a treasure in themselves. Here goes for the moment of truth (for the pics). Pushing the button...

http://www.penturners.org/forum/att...nt.php?attachmentid=134699&stc=1&d=1434687262

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC_0010 (1).jpg
    DSC_0010 (1).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 190
  • PITH Blanks Rec'd 2015.jpg
    PITH Blanks Rec'd 2015.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 157

Simsonicole

The pen has some great musical artwork (including my initials) which I assume is a decal covered by a beautiful CA finish.

Actually not a decal :biggrin: It was laser engraved and infilled with black pigment coloured epoxy...sanded back then CA finished. Wood is a Birdseye maple. :music:

Glad it arrived ok and you liked it :)

Sprung

Here is my belated posting of PITH Pen and blanks that I rec'd this month from Mat (IAP - Sprung). I am only posting now as I have just learned how to post pics on IAP...and I LIKE IT!

Now for this pen. It is so well done, turned from ancient Red Gum, with a Croatian postage stamp showing an Aussie Zebra Finch, and in keeping with the bird, a segment band at the top with the Aussie flag colors. Just great! And the blanks are a treasure in themselves. Here goes for the moment of truth (for the pics). Pushing the button...

http://www.penturners.org/forum/att...nt.php?attachmentid=134699&stc=1&d=1434687262

Success! Glad to see you were able to get the pic posting figured out! :)

I'm also very happy, again, that you are enjoying both the pen and the blanks! Have fun with them, my friend - because I had a lot of fun making that pen for you! :)

Notscottish

My Pith pen from Nedge

Well, here are the pictures of the beautiful pen that Nedge made for me in the PITH swap.

It is created from Cherry Burl and has a flawless finish. The kit is a 10 K Artisan European and really complements the cherry. Nedge also made a guitar-body shaped base from the same cherry burl that is stunning.

Attachments

• 20150618_074905.jpg
    20150618_074905.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 20150618_074848.jpg
    20150618_074848.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 20150618_074824.jpg
    20150618_074824.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 20150618_074659.jpg
    20150618_074659.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 135

Sprung

This morning I had the pleasure of my pen from SteveG being in my mailbox.

I'll say this: I already had a "Wow!" at the blanks - all new woods that I haven't had a chance to try yet and all very nice. But when I opened up the box with the pen in it - WOW! I was speechless - and so was my wife when I called her into my office to show it to her.

My pictures definitely don't do this pen justice!

Per the information Steve included with his note, this pen is made with Desert Ironwood Burl (swirl burl). It also features Jade and Veracite Tru-stone. No clip - the roll stopper is the charm from a tie-tack and is gold plated sterling silver. The kit parts he used were from a Roman Harvest kit. And it features a Heritance Medium Nib and Schmidt K5 converter.

Steve did include this in the note: "This comes with an assignment...you must determine how this pen provides the "entertainment" themes, since I am unable to do so!!"

I told him he would've been entertained to see my wife's and my reactions to this pen. I've thought about it some more and had another thought - I know I would've been very entertained to be able to have been there in Steve's shop, watching as he made this pen. Steve's craftsmanship on this pen is simply superb - and it's always fun to see a craftsman at work!

Steve, thank you again!

Attachments

• PITH1.jpg
    PITH1.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 171
  • PITH2.jpg
    PITH2.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 138
  • PITH3.jpg
    PITH3.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 149
  • PITH4.jpg
    PITH4.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 141

Brian Frank

Turning Mack C's Blanks

Don't know if this is the right place to upload pictures of pen's made from the Pith Swap blanks. Since they are related in a way I made an executive decision and placed them here.

Turned two of Mack's blanks he sent me. One is the California Olive Wood and the other is the Cherry Burl. I know I need to work on my photo skills but would rather spend the time and energy in the shop. :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_4702.jpg
    IMG_4702.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_4747.jpg
    IMG_4747.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 154

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Don't know if this is the right place to upload pictures of pen's made from the Pith Swap blanks. Since they are related in a way I made an executive decision and placed them here.

Turned two of Mack's blanks he sent me. One is the California Olive Wood and the other is the Cherry Burl. I know I need to work on my photo skills but would rather spend the time and energy in the shop. :biggrin:
It's so nice to see those blanks being put to great use!

Lathemaster

Great May PITH Exchange

Received my box of goodies from Ben aka. CrimsonKeel last Friday.

Pen is a gorgeous Zen with a "Toxic Waste" blank cast by Ben.

The backstory was --
"So the pen was based off a movie Toxic Avenger which i used to watch as a kid on late night TV. it was this campy movie about a guy who gets dumped in a toxic waste pit and becomes a super hero. "

Also include were several other blanks and goodies for casting.

Thanks Ben

Mike

P.S. Something about how the light reflected from the cast barrel drove my camera nuts.

Attachments

• Pith Pen -4.jpg
    Pith Pen -4.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Pith Pen -6.jpg
    Pith Pen -6.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

SteveJ

Got my package from MikeinSC when I returned from a conference. A well turned "Roadkill" pen for me and a slimline for my wife. Mike also sent about 25 blanks of various woods, Corian and tru-stone. I definitely got the better end of this PITH. I sent one pen, got two. I might have sent 5 blanks, received 5 times that many.

Wow, Mike was extremely generous.

The two pens I received are well turned, with good finish and fit. The decal looks as though it could have been printed on the barrel. And my wife really appreciates the slimline he made for her.

Attachments

• Roadkill.jpg
    Roadkill.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Slim.jpg
    Slim.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 149

Krash

Got my package from MikeinSC when I returned from a conference. A well turned "Roadkill" pen for me and a slimline for my wife. Mike also sent about 25 blanks of various woods, Corian and tru-stone. I definitely got the better end of this PITH. I sent one pen, got two. I might have sent 5 blanks, received 5 times that many.

Wow, Mike was extremely generous.

The two pens I received are well turned, with good finish and fit. The decal looks as though it could have been printed on the barrel. And my wife really appreciates the slimline he made for her.

I love the grain in that slim!!

lyonsacc

Received this fantastic pen from bedangerous (Mitch)! It is Bristlecone Pine - a rare pinewood in the US. There are apparently a couple of these living that are estimated to be around 5,000 years old. The tree is protected by law, so only controlled harvests are allowed. The wood for this pen came from trees that were killed in a fire in the late 1800's on Bone Mountain. One of the blanks he sent is also a piece of Bristlecone Pine - and it smells wonderful.
6-25-15 006 2.jpg
6-25-15 008 2.jpg
6-25-15 009 2.jpg

The pen looks much nicer in person than my pics show. Made me realize that I haven't turned any lighter woods recently - I really like the look of this pen.

Dave

lyonsacc

My son Cole received an awesome pen from Dylan (son of Mike4066). It is made from a blank that they cast with a custom decal - his name, some flames, and the "C" is a basketball (Cole's favorite sport). He REALLY likes this pen. It also came with some nice blanks that Cole has added to his collection - including one identical to the one they used making the pen and some really nice wood blanks.
6-25-15 010 2.jpg

6-25-15 011 2.jpg

6-25-15 014 2.jpg

Special thanks to Dylan for being patient as our attempt to create his pen has been quite a learning process.

Also - learned that Mike drives by my parent's house on his way to work and works in the same building that my Dad did quite a few years ago.

Dave

SantaEric

bringing up the rear....UNSR gave me these beautiful pens..along with some cool blanks....ok...i give...how do i post a pic on this comment

SteveG

bringing up the rear....UNSR gave me these beautiful pens..along with some cool blanks....ok...i give...how do i post a pic on this comment

I had not figured out the "secrets" to pic posting, and after many failed attempts, requested dedicated, step-by-step help here on IAP...and got it...and then posted pics. So search back a week or two for my threads, and you will find help that works. :biggrin::biggrin:

Nedge

Spring PITH 2015 Pen

I received my PITH pen from Notscottish, Peter on Wednesday and it is a very nice pen! Thank you very much! I love the copper kit combined with variety of darker and lighter colors in the blank and depth of colors under the finish which is several coats of CA glue. The pen was pieced together out of Holly, Wengie, Black Walnut, Zebrawood, Padouk, maple, Purpleheart, and a few other types of wood. At first I thought it was a resin blank.
Every angle shows a different species of wood and they all come together in a random pattern.
The pen is a click-style pen Wall Street 2 kit with copper and black enamel accents.

One blank sent is Beefwood, the other blank is a diagonal cut of a piece of zebra wood. I look forward to turning both blanks.

I took a lot of photos to capture all 360 degrees of the pen and chose 5 of the best to show all views of the pen as seen in person.

Thanks
Ed

Attachments

• DSC00045_2.jpg
    DSC00045_2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC00046_2.jpg
    DSC00046_2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC00043_2.jpg
    DSC00043_2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00044_2.jpg
    DSC00044_2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC00054_2.jpg
    DSC00054_2.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 122

healeydays

Just got home from a little traveling and found a package from Krash waiting for me. All I can say is WOW. I will post pictures tomorrow. I just hope someone's car isn't on the side of the road with 3 wheels and a jack stand...

Mike B

healeydays

So what's a pen for an Austin Healey type of guy?

So Kelly (Krash) made me a pen. But not just a pen, she made me a pen holder to go with it. So what do you make for a guy with the name Healeydays?

An Austin Healey pen and holder of course...

What she made me was a stainless steel Eagle kit with an Austin Healey pin attached to the top.

Not only did she do that, she made a desktop pen holder using a wire wheel knockoff and a vintage style glass fuel filter to hold the pen. Definitely creative and appreciated.

Thanks again Kelly...

Attachments

• p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 148
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 128
  • p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 120
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 104
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 146

lyonsacc

Here is the pen I sent to bedangerous.
5-26-15 013 2.jpg

5-26-15 015 2.jpg
Made from a pair of old blue jeans and the black ends are layers of an old record. So along with the "entertainment" theme, this pen could represent most any song in country music. There have also been a couple songs titled "Blue Jeans" - my memory tells me there was one by Stevie Nicks - but I might be wrong about that.

The old record was a bit of a pain to deal with. Each end of the blank too about 11 layers. When I was trying to get the pieces to a reasonable size, the record broke into lots and lots of little fragments (I am still finding them in places on my floor and workbench).

Dave

Krash

So Kelly (Krash) made me a pen. But not just a pen, she made me a pen holder to go with it. So what do you make for a guy with the name Healeydays?

An Austin Healey pen and holder of course...

What she made me was a stainless steel Eagle kit with an Austin Healey pin attached to the top.

Not only did she do that, she made a desktop pen holder using a wire wheel knockoff and a vintage style glass fuel filter to hold the pen. Definitely creative and appreciated.

Thanks again Kelly...

I'm so glad you liked it Mike. I have been wanting to make some car-themed pens so when I got you as a PITH partner, I knew right away what I was going to try to do! Finding an original knockoff was a bit of a challenge plus thinking up something appropriate to be the pen holder and installing it was fun and challenging. The lapel pin just topped it off!

I had planned on trying to represent the wire wheels by segmenting a piece of ebony and have that be the top portion of the pen. You can see it all segmented up in this parts picture.

attachment.php

But, when I got in the garage to make the pen, I didn't realize that the Eagle took a 12mm bit. All I had was a 12.5mm. I looked online at Lowes and it said they had one but when I got there, no dice. So I went to WW Supply. Nope. They were out of 12mm and 31/64th. Aarrgg! I called Alb Exotic Woods and they had one so off I went. But, it was a bradpoint bit which I didn't want for segmented blanks. I called everyplace I could think of and nobody had one. So, I bought the bradpoint thinking I would just drill it slow. I knew this was a bad idea but I needed to finish the pen.

Well, you guess it, bradpoints and segmenting do not play well together ...

attachment.php

A real bummer. I think it would have made the pen so much more special. So, I just backtracked and put the cutoff piece of acrylic where the wire wheel was supposed to go.

attachment.php

I used a sticky-sided craft foam sheet and cut out a circle for the bottom plus a small circle at the bottom of the tube for cushioning (not in this picture). The fuel filter is connected with a carriage bolt I bent and installed through a hole I drilled in the brass knockoff.

I was pleased with the final outcome even though the segmenting didn't work out.

Oh, BTW Mike, there are 4 extra S's in your post! I'm the one on the left in my picture next to my beautiful wife of 34 years! :biggrin:

Attachments

• Parts.JPG
    Parts.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 446
  • blowup.JPG
    blowup.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 434
  • PITH.JPG
    PITH.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:

USNR'03

healeydays

Oh, BTW Mike, there are 4 extra S's in your post! I'm the one on the left in my picture next to my beautiful wife of 34 years! :biggrin:

I am so sorry Kelly, for some stupid reason I thought I was dealing with your wife. She must have gotten a good laugh out of it. I know my wife did...

Krash

I am so sorry Kelly, for some stupid reason I thought I was dealing with your wife. She must have gotten a good laugh out of it. I know my wife did...

She could crochet a nice pen warmer for you! :wink:

CrimsonKeel

Lathemaster sent me this great chollo cactus cast in turquoise resin. I like the depth you can see into the blank. He said he is a john wayne fan and in eldorado john is teaching james cann to shoot and when he does and hits the target Wayne asks him "Did you mean to hit that Chollo?
kNvhbRN.jpg

He also sent these Great blanks to go along with the pen.
gq1v7NW.jpg

And So I think ill start a tradition with my piths from now on and post all the pens i have got in PITH's together. So here they are. From left to right found on ground(Blackwood), Steampunk(cschimmel), Construction(mredburn), and now entertainment(lathemaster).
f8BhoIu.jpg

mike4066

I don't have pics of the one that I sent to you, but it's almost identical. I'm carrying the one you sent me. I'll try and get a pic when I'm home next (been out of town for work).

Top Bottom