Matching Pen and Letter Opener??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

suefox51

I'm looking for a matching set of a letter opener and pen for holiday gifts. Most of what I see needs a tenon and I've never done one of those - so, being the wimp that I am, I'm looking for a letter opener that does not require a tenon. (unless someone can explain to a novice how to do a tenon).
Thanks all!
Sue:redface:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

Turning a tenon is not very hard. You can use a parting tool, skew, or a square carbide cutter. What tools do you have available? You basically get the measurements off the directions for the pen, measure the tenon length and slowly remove matierial until you get to the correct dimension. You can either measure with calipres or use the actual center ring to check your progress. I would be happy to describe in more detail if needed.

Here are some letter opener kits that do not require a tenon.
Letter Opener Kits - Woodturningz
There are also designer/Euro style pens that do not need the tenon. Have to look for them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Turning a tenon is NOT difficult!!

If you have a caliper, set it for the inside diameter of the ring you are turning the tenon to accomodate. If you DON'T have a caliper, find the open end wrench that is closest to the size you will need---then use that to frequently measure your tenon. You will be gluing the ring in place, so absolute precision is not required.

Practice on a few "who-cares pieces" first----you will quickly discover that tenons are NOT rocket science!!!!

edstreet

Tenons, lets see here.

attachment.php

The bushings will have TWO sizes. the large bushings and the smaller inside bushing. I may as well be speaking greek but this should describe it nicely.

This is the small bushing.
attachment.php

The large bushing will let you cut the outside radius then you just cut the step down to the small bushing.

I always suggest using the band to test fit and adjust as needed.
attachment.php

Oh and it need not be perfectly square either because of this.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6950.jpg
    IMG_6950.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_8684.jpg
    IMG_8684.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 1274305_10200594242240409_149132454_o.jpg
    1274305_10200594242240409_149132454_o.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_6957.jpg