Marquetry / Inlaying a pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Amihai

Hello,
I was interested to know if someone here ever tried to create artistic images in their pens, using contrasting pieces of wood?

I'm not sure what will be the correct term and the correct way to execute such type of work. I've heard about marquetry, parquetry and inlay, but how will you apply it to such small scale and round objects like pens?

Dremel of some sort? Laser cutting? Or maybe not even cut the blank istelf but just glue a very thin piece of veneer on top?

Thank you very much,
Amihai Fishman.

Attachments

• GettyImages-1288430327.jpg
    GettyImages-1288430327.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 64
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

These are a few that I found. Dimitris used a scroll saw to create his blanks.

eharri446

There have been some videos on YouTube showing how to use a CNC machine to do inlays. Do not know how they would work with a pen blank though. You might have to use a larger piece of wood do the inlay and then cut the blank to size.

pssherman

There was a member, William 'Eagle' Prisavage, who passed away some time ago. He made some of the most beautiful blanks you can imagine using a technique he called pentarsia. He was a master artist in the art of making pen blanks.

jttheclockman

There are and were some talented pen makers here so to answer your question yes. Now there are a few ways this can be done. Of course many times a laser is involved just because you are talking such a small canvas and the shape of it. But you have many laser cut inlay blanks out there. There are also painting artists here that paint scenes on their pen tubes. There are clay artisans that can build various pictures using canning material. Then there are artisans such as the one Paul just mentioned. (Eagle) was his sign on name. He was an inventor of blank making and a pioneer in so many ways here. Here is the article that Paul mentions and being so old many of the photos are gone. This thread was also rescued from 2 major computer upgrades so it is amazing still around. He invented that word pentarsia.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/pentarsia.15888/

Then there were artisans such as Jeff AKA Workingforwood. He invented rotoracrylic blanks and he did scenes with using a scrollsaw. I will not post all his links but look him up. Then there were the puzzle guys and one comes to mind real quick. The inventor of the puzzle pen blank Bruce Boone AKA btboone. Look him up also.

Top Bottom