Marbling Craze Continues; new quintet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

My little marbling adventure continues - including some marbling over various acrylic terrains and textures - will post about various techniques after some more experiments (fun ahead). This litter was born today (and I share Brian's/Ozturner's concerns about overpopulation):
attachment.php

Warm regards to all - Bob

Attachments

• 5StylusPenMarblingsJuly19,17,markison,800px.jpg
    5StylusPenMarblingsJuly19,17,markison,800px.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 724
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Congratulations on the Delivery, of the Quintets Bob.
So glad you there to Assist,
Where would they be Without You?
They Definitely have the Family Resemblance.
I can't wait for your Next Episode.
To get all the Fine Details.
Great Work, my Friend.
Brian.

Bob in SF

Thanks for kind words!

My wife expressed some concern that I might marble my bald head.

I reassured her that I wouldn't - not until I had a keener grasp of marbling porous surfaces along with proper lighting and mirror/camera setup.

Happy Thursday! - Bob

Charlie_W

Bob, yet another batch of siblings....the family is growing!
Your ability to concentrate your colors into such a small pattern for pen blanks is unique! I have seen marbleizing demos with floating swirled paints but the effects were nothing like yours. Very Well Done!

Bob in SF

Sincere thanks, Charlie - I'll post details once I've arrived at the most reliable and versatile working methods for various surfaces - great fun in this little project.

magpens

Those are the best yet, Bob !!!!! . I am anxious to learn about your technique.

Can the marbling be done over just about any solid substrate (not wood)

Bob in SF

Sincere thanks, Mal and Jay!

Mal - I'm still experimenting with various inks, dyes, paints, color wetting agents (to regulate float and spread), and mordants (to optimize adherence on porous surfaces) - will keep you posted - here are some tests:
attachment.php

Marbled ash burl veneer
attachment.php

Marbled habotai silk (close-up)

Warm regards and Happy Tuesday to all - Bob

(I learned a lot from a recent class with master marbler Pietro Accardi - still working on pen and general applications of this fun technique - will keep you posted)

Attachments

• MarbledAshBurlVeneer,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    MarbledAshBurlVeneer,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 279
  • MarbledSilk1,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    MarbledSilk1,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 231

magpens

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. . The potential for such techniques seem almost unlimited.

Very interested in hearing more. Best regards,

lmfrazee01

"will post about various techniques after some more experiments" Is there a link or reference (possibly on this forum) to how this marbling technique is performed. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

mecompco

Beautiful, Bob. I haven't tried fabric or other material yet--do you have to treat it with alum like the paper? Have you had any luck with making designs? I can get a decent looking flower, but I was trying for some sugar skulls and just can't control the spread of the paint (using acrylics).

Regards,
Michael

Bob in SF

Thanks Lowell and Michael!

Michael - precise drawing is difficult - better to use a postive or negative mask - either masking fluid or a Friskit type stencil depending upon whether you want the skull or it's surroundings to be marbled.
General outline:
I first alum the wood or paper or fabric, let dry, store in a vacuum to avoid oxidation (food saver bag). I do not alum pen tubes.
I'm more often using methyl cellulose rather than carrageenan for the size.
I'm experimenting with all sorts of paints, inks, and dyes and getting best results with Golden high flow acrylics on porous surfaces, and oil based paints on nonporous surfaces. I airbrush clear gloss acrylic before casting with Douglas and Sturgess clear casting PR.

I'll post the pics and specifics next week - after some more experimentation.

Lowell - I've delayed posting the working methods a bit because there are a number of ways to do it. I couldn't find interesting small scale pen making-specific marbling info, and that's why I launched this little project.

Best regards to all - Bob

mecompco

Interesting! What is the advantage of methyl cellulose over carageenan (which is what I'm using)? What I've been doing is making the marbled background, usually doing a nonpareil with a small nail, then using the rake.

For my flowers, I'm just dropping multiple small drops, one within another onto the background, then pulling in six to eight places to the center for the petals--comes out pretty nice, but hard to keep small enough for a pen tube. Tried the same technique for the skulls, but getting the inside details to stay in shape is very difficult.

Looking forward to seeing more about your techniques. :)

Regards,
Michael

Bob in SF

"Interesting! What is the advantage of methyl cellulose over carrageenan"

Michael - Methyl cellulose is cheaper than carrageenan, and keeps longer = 1 week covered at room temp, 3 weeks in fridge - my recipe is:

Warm tap H20, 64oz. (1/2 gal.)
1.5 tbs methyl cellulose
1 tbs ammonia
1 tsp white distilled vinegar

Whisk thoroughly with a wire whisk (don't use a blender - too frothy)
Let sit over night
Adjust acrylic paints with dilute Photo-Flo 200 or (real or synthetic) ox gall to regulate paint flow/float characteristics if necessary.

More info to come next week.

- Bob

Top Bottom