Maple Platter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from keithlong

keithlong

Here is a platter, my first one as a matter of fact, made out of a piece of maple. Made it for my lovely wife. Now she wants 3 more. It is finished with 4 coats of wipe on poly.

pensAugust2010009-1.jpg

It is 9 inches round.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Excellent job, I just started making plates at such and they are trickier than they look.

fshenkin94

Very nice. I have a 15" wide walnut board that I want to use for a platter but am not sure how to attach it to the face plate without leaving screw holes in the back. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

louisbry

Nice platter Keith. You may have to come to my shop and spin one on my 20 inch swing Powermatic.

Fshenkin94, try turning a piece of pine 2 by 4 round and glue it to the bottom of the board. You could either use a face plate or chuck it up. After you have turned the platter you could use double sided tape or a vacuume chuck and reverse the platter to turn the sacrificial glued on piece off and finish the bottom. There is probably other solutions as well.

Last edited:

fshenkin94

THanks for the tip, Louis. Your response has left me with a few more questions. 1. Will tape really hold that piece of wood on even though it is spinning at 700-800 rpm? 2. How do you get it centered to trim off the glued piece?

bitshird

Very nice. I have a 15" wide walnut board that I want to use for a platter but am not sure how to attach it to the face plate without leaving screw holes in the back. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Use a glue block, turn a 1-1/2 in or 2 inch piece of hard wood DO NOT USE MDF turn it to a convenient size for you chuck so that the tennon is just slightly larger than the smallest opening of the jaw set, then find center and use a good wood glue to glue the sacrificial piece to the bowl blank, turn the inside of the platter, and turn as much of the back and outside as you can, part it nearly all the way through, and finish cutting it free with a saw, you might want to seal and finish the inside before cutting it free, You choices then become use a set of cole jaws, Make a donut chuck or use your tail stock and a jam chuck to clean up the rest of the sacrifice tenon and finish the back, not as hard as it sounds,

Top Bottom