Maple burl with bloodwood, purplehart and a coke can

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sschering

sschering

This was done for the Reddit pen exchange..

It's a a Maple burl blank segmented with purplehart, bloodwood and a coke can.. That burl was a real pain. I gave me a few fits but I think it turned out well.

6w4kcNml.jpg

3Ukh34ll.jpg

HUVCQupl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That is some serious beautiful Maple you have there. It looks like you left the cap way proud of the bushing in the first two images? Great job on the segmenting though and the pen overall looks great but as was told to me many times when I was learning that attention to details is what it is all about. Try to make sure you really use those bushings as a guide and don't hurry to finish. I still can't get over that Maple burl it is really outstanding. This is the type of wood I look for to put on my segmented pens and maybe better than most of what I have seen. Your finish is spot on too. Nice job.

sschering

You are right about the cap.. That hard bloodwood right next to the softer purplehart was a recipe for disaster.. The skew got away from me there and things got very close to the tube.. It bugs me every time I look at it and feel that edge :)

If I had more time to get tubes and segment a new cap I would have done it over but it has to be in the mail by tomorrow.

I agree the burl looks amazing but wow what a pain to turn.. It's constantly wanting to tear out even with a fresh edge on the skew.

Thanks!

Dan Masshardt

You are right about the cap.. That hard bloodwood right next to the softer purplehart was a recipe for disaster.. The skew got away from me there and things got very close to the tube.. It bugs me every time I look at it and feel that edge :)

If I had more time to get tubes and segment a new cap I would have done it over but it has to be in the mail by tomorrow.

I agree the burl looks amazing but wow what a pain to turn.. It's constantly wanting to tear out even with a fresh edge on the skew.

Thanks!

Close to the tube at the top of the cap you mean right?

I know what you men about anxiety when it wants to tear out. Especially as it gets thinner. That's just part of the dues we pay with some of the burls that are not stabilized I guess.

Did you soak it with thin ca along the way? I've found that to be extremely helpful with brittle burls.

sschering

Yes close to the cap where it's segmented.

I did soak with thin CA when I saw it was tearing.. it helped a lot..

I may try stabilizing the other pieces I have.

Top Bottom