Maple burl table

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from isaacrapelje

isaacrapelje

I finally sold enough wood so I could actually do some woodworking now. Here is what I have been working on lately, it is a maple burl table. I have a book match set but am only going to use one side for the table. The top is sanded and wiped down with watco oil. Any suggestions on a finish? I want it to be low build satin finish that is durable. I can't decide between wipe on poly or lacquer. Ideas and suggestions? Any one want to give it a nice CA finish?
book1b.jpg

mapleslabbook1a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Isaac ... I have been 'using' System Three Mirror Coat on a burl I am turning and am having a blast. I believe the burl slab you have is beautiful and the System Three Mirror Coat would look great on it.

Three ounces of the mixture will cover and protect one square foot ... then one waits 4-8 hours, and if all is cured just add another coat to increase the depth. The mixture is excellent in covering any flat inlay work if you do that sort of thing.

The mixture runs like water, so going over any edges might be a problem. I just run a strip of tape all around the perimeter of the top and make sue ever little crevice is sealed. Then you can set the table level all around and start pouring. Sand bags are great for this step and the also will hold the table quite steady in case some interested person should bump into to while the mixture is curing.

The finished top is amazing and the wood grain is very well displayed.

Check the website www.systemthree.com for more information. Woodcraft is an authorized vendor and often stocks the product.

Please post your finished photographs so we all can see what is discovered. Great luck on your project!

EricJS

Isaac, that's absolutely stunning! That is the perfect project for that beautiful burl.

I believe that would look good with either Lacquer or Polyurethane finish. You can build up and polish Lacquer very easily, but polyurethane is more resistant to wear & water stains. It will look great no matter which finishing technique you use.

Show us pics after the finish is done! If you use a CA finish, please videotape the process for us to watch.:biggrin:

isaacrapelje

Thanks for the input. I went with a wipe on poly for durability. I also added a bow tie inlay in african blackwood to help old a loose part together. The finishing has taken a long time but is coming along. I hope to instal today so I can snap some pictures.

isaacrapelje

Finished product

Here is the finished table for my wonderful wife installed. It was so much easier with a clean shop andsurface to work on. I inlayed a blackwood bowtie to strengthen a weak point. I tired to use a 1/8 router bit but it broke so I had to finish it by hand. It is finished with many coats of wiped on poly.

table1.jpg

table2.jpg

table3.jpg

Last edited:

seamus7227

without a doubt! SUPERB!!! the last person i saw do the bowtie technique was David Marks when he did that show "woodworks" on i think the D.I.Y. network. Very well done!

Top Bottom