Maple Burl platter with pedestal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from patsikes

patsikes

Hey everyone, I wanted to share this piece and get your feelings on it. It was fun to make! Features a very flat maple burl cap platter on a bloodwood pedestal. It was finished with Waterlox High Gloss.

Attachments

• IMGP5933.jpg
    IMGP5933.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 278
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Nice looking piece.

Did you turn the top of platter flat, or run it through a drum sander then turn some feaature on the bottom to match the pedestal?

patsikes

It is all turned...no drum sander. It is turned like you would a normal platter but I took it down thin and since it is oblong in shape (from the natural shape of the burl cap) two of the edges are much thinner with the edge closest to the camera being like a knife edge (eased of course).

Here is another photo, taken looking up at the bottom... It just was not as good that is why I did not include it the first time.

The turning techniques for this I found on the following article: http://st31.flashecom.com/leetreewoodworks/_e/page/1003/Woodworking_Ideas.htm In this piece though I did not emphasis the bowl aspect and just made a nice pleasing arc from center to edge.

Attachments

• IMGP5931.jpg
    IMGP5931.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 139

patsikes

Thanks everyone!

I have 3 more burl caps just right for this style of turning so I have to make another one...which is good because this one was donated for my woodturning club's "bring back" rafle... :)

Top Bottom