MAPG 2015 Winner!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

I was surprised and delighted that a pen I entered in the MAPG 2015 Open Challenge Contest was a first place winner!

There were some very, very nice pens in both contest categories this year!
Since the contest only allowed blanks that we solely created, (no artist blanks), I felt challenged as I don't cast or create the kitless pens with awesome threading.

I finally came up with an idea for a pen and it took plenty of thought before touching the lathe. This was truly "out of the box" thinking for me...especially since I don't feel I possess the artistic brain in the family!

Anyhow, this one is made from red oak and black ebonite and is a magnetic capped rollerball.
I will post a couple of replies to include more pics as I am sending from my iPad.

Thanks for looking. I hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 313
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Nicely done Charlie. Definitely would have gotten a vote from me had I been there. I love the blackened oak. Did you put on a finish after the toasting?

Charlie_W

Nicely done Charlie. Definitely would have gotten a vote from me had I been there. I love the blackened oak. Did you put on a finish after the toasting?

Hi Pete! We missed seeing you and Marla!

As far as a "finish", I sprayed 2 coats of Watco satin laquer to seal it and to stop the aroma of the char.
Next, I burnished with a nylon brush and then used some 4/0 Liberon steel wool to knock the sheen down a little on the surface.
The organic, tactile texture of the pen feels warm and comfy in the hand!
Thanks for your cyber-vote!

Charlie_W

Thanks to you all for the kind words!
In looking back, I can see where the contest rules actually caused me to
" Think Outside the Tube" and turned out to be a very good learning experience. I was able to try new techniques after conceiving the idea and formulating a plan for the pen. The execution went with out any major incidents, thank goodness! ( a couple of minor ones but successfully overcome)
This also was the first time turning and finishing ebonite as well as employing this finishing method on the oak blanks. It all worked very well!

Thanks again!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A really cool pen Charlie. I looked at it towards the end of the day and it was very impressive. Nice job! Nice to meet you.

TonyL

Congratulations! Looks like charred driftwood or reclaimed barn wood - very idyllic; great texture

Charlie_W

Congratulations! Looks like charred driftwood or reclaimed barn wood - very idyllic; great texture

Thanks Tony!
That was the look I was going for.
I am still unsure of this pen's name. Maybe "The Ugly Stick" !.....or "Black Gold"!
Any ideas?

Top Bottom