Manu Propria - "Futo" Tame Raden

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from manupropria

manupropria

I couldn't resist to show this one.
This time I applied around 25 layers of the finest Japanese "sakari-urushi" over the polished raden. After polishing an incredible red wine color tone turned out. With the years urushi tends to become more transparent. I am curious how it will look in a few years.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 180
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

furini

Once again a beautiful and amazing piece of work. Do you do finishing classes? Switzerland is nearer to me than Japan!
Thank you for continuing to post such inspiring work.
Cheers
Stewart

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Stunning as always Martin.
You said that the finishes gets more transparent over time. Is it possible to promote it so that it happens sooner....like UV lights, for example?
If it can be forced, is it considered bad practice to do that to a classic finish?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Stunning as always Martin.
You said that the finishes gets more transparent over time. Is it possible to promote it so that it happens sooner....like UV lights, for example?
If it can be forced, is it considered bad practice to do that to a classic finish?
Just buff it with a PINK TOWEL:biggrin::tongue:

Sorry Martin! Your pens are fantastic and, I admire your skill. Skiprat had that poke coming to him.

Last edited:

manupropria

We in the West should train ourselves more in patience. Good things come to those who wait. Urushi, well maintained and cared will last for centuries and will gain beauty. To understand Japanese view on things one has to consider the term "Yô no Bi" beauty through use.

This is a very common term in Japan. With the time fine scratches will appear as on every material less hard than diamond. But wear and tear is one aspect that improves the beauty of not only urushi lacquer objects. Urushi gets brighter and more transparent with the time and it gets harder with every day. New things don't have a soul, only old things do.

I was thinking of having classes but the problem with urushi is, 1 minute of lacquering and 24 hours of curing

Brooks803

We in the West should train ourselves more in patience. Good things come to those who wait. Urushi, well maintained and cared will last for centuries and will gain beauty. To understand Japanese view on things one has to consider the term "Yô no Bi" beauty through use.

This is a very common term in Japan. With the time fine scratches will appear as on every material less hard than diamond. But wear and tear is one aspect that improves the beauty of not only urushi lacquer objects. Urushi gets brighter and more transparent with the time and it gets harder with every day. New things don't have a soul, only old things do.

I was thinking of having classes but the problem with urushi is, 1 minute of lacquering and 24 hours of curing

That's a class I'd fly to Switzerland for! One thing urushi has certainly taught me is to SLOW DOWN. I'm a patient person, but having to wait for a month or more to see if I've been screwing up or not isn't something I enjoy, lol.

Stunning work Martin!

Last edited:

pianomanpj

That's a class I'd fly to Switzerland for! One thing urushi has certainly taught me is to SLOW DOWN. I'm a patient person, but having to wait for a month or more to see if I've been screwing up or not is something I enjoy, lol.

Stunning work Martin!

I've seen your work first hand, Jonathon - your urushi is beautiful!

Top Bottom