Mandrels?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

I finally got to turning my first pen in a few years.(pic in SOYP)

Wasn't perfect had a few flaws,one of them was the turning was not perfect round.

So i turned another pen today and had the same problem.

After I really look at the pen turning I noticed that the mandrel has a wobble to it.
Think that the shaft is bent using the Pro Pen Mandrel MT 1 , I reorder a new shaft today to see if that is the real problem.

I currently don't have a dial indicator to check the run out of the head on the lathe.

What other recommendations for mandrels should i Look at?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pens By Scott

I don't have a dial indicator, but have tried the following...
- Check the mandrel bar to see if it is straight,
- re-seat the mandrel taper and bar
- i've used my tool rest as a makeshift dial indicator (crude, but...) and adjusted with a rubber mallet.

its_virgil

But not just a one time 1.5x the mandrel price but a 1.5x the mandrel price for each pen kit that one makes. I'm not knocking the process or maker. The between center bushings are the best made bushings I've used and the process is excellent. It is just not for everyone. Personally I have no issues with out of round pens and the fix is not usually a difficult one. I'm not trying to start an argument but just passing on info.
Do a good turn daily!
don

Concerned with cost? If so, it cost about 1.5x as much as a good mandrel, and it is much more accurate and versatile.

Top Bottom