Mandrels, Collets and Live Centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodbutcher

My first mandrel was the WC beginners unit. It cost around $10.00. Not bad. Shortly after that I went with the WC Pro Model...$25.00. Shortly after that the Live Center on my shiny new Delta Midi began to wear and not quite round pens were the result. My next move was to a Oneway Live Center with a noticeable improvement. Still even rotating blanks 180 deg on the mandrel just prior to sanding still produced slightly out of round results. I then read a post here concerning the use of a Beal Collet. Made sense to me. I then did something unusual for me. I bought a WC collet system. It cost me $80.00 which is not quite 50% cheaper than the Beal. That really helped a lot! I strive for perfection in my turning whatever the finished product is. It seems a Collet and good Live Center will help eliminate variables in wood to metal fitment on pens. Still the most important piece of this puzzle is experience. I suggest to new turners to buy 50 slimline kits from the cheapest supplier and start making all the mistakes you can as soon as possible. Do it in groups of five kits at a time. After 20 or so kits the lights in your head should be well on their way to shining brightly. Keep the first 5 for yourself. After that you may want to call the rest gifts or sale items. Most of my first 40 were gifts. I sold the next 10. Those sales paid for the Oneway Live Center. I wish you all the best.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mdburn_em

<b>"Frank to the photo-stand please, Frank to the photo-stand."</b>

Frank has a picture of a relatively cheap but slower way to make pens that won't be out of round. If he sees this, maybe he'll post it.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by mdburn_em
<br /><b>"Frank to the photo-stand please, Frank to the photo-stand."</b>

Frank has a picture of a relatively cheap but slower way to make pens that won't be out of round. If he sees this, maybe he'll post it.

I see the post. I didn't save the photo but, if Jeff doesn't object, you can see the post at TPS. http://www.thepenshop.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5265&PN=1
Be sure to scroll down to my second photo for correct set-up. Not my idea originally but recently "discovered" by me as making ultimate good sense to do.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by GreggR
<br />Oooh, I tried the posted link.... wouldn't let me in, said it was only for members! I hate it when that happens [:D]

Sorry, I didn't know it was set up that way. I'll try to capture the picture from TPS and show you here. Or, I'll take another shot later today.

OK, here is a picture. Sorry for bad quality, it was just a quickie but you can get the idea.
BTW, I read posts at TPS today without logging in. Dunno wassup.

20073182220_no%20mandrel%20mandrel.jpg
<br />

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by saltwein
<br />How are the bushings aligned with the blank? Is there a small rod or just compression holding it together?

Regards, Steve

The alignment is the same as with a mandrel, the bushings are in the tube. The centers, ...uh...center naturaly on the bushings. It is now my preferred method of turning pens. No mandrel. No chatter.

Dario

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Sorry, I didn't know it was set up that way. I'll try to capture the picture from TPS and show you here. Or, I'll take another shot later today.

OK, here is a picture. Sorry for bad quality, it was just a quickie but you can get the idea.
BTW, I read posts at TPS today without logging in. Dunno wassup.

20073182220_no%20mandrel%20mandrel.jpg
<br />

I learned this set up from Kiddo...been a proponent of it for a while but stopped.

I think using this method stresses the bearings of headstock and livecenter too much since you have to tighten the the tailstock so it won't slip. It does work great alignment wise but I wouldn't risk my lathe for it.

I now use Beall Collet chuck.

Dario

Frank,

As long as it works for you. I am just sharing my experience so others may decide better if it is for them or not. If it is, then atleast know what to watch out for.

ctwxlvr

Wonder of one of the machinist in the forum could make a Dead Center Drive with a no agressive drive feature, something that would have a small tooth to drive the bushing.

glm1157

Hi All,

Yesterday I ordered a MT2 dead center and the popular MT2 live center from Little Machine Shop. Total cost was $28.66. I cannot wait to give this a try!

Thanks for sharing the idea!

Gary
Sacramento, California

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom