Mandrel Saver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have rods I cant figure out how to get the old rod out of the piece that mounts into the lath. Looks like a roll pin in one end that I cant drive out.?

magpens

If what you want is the mandrel rod, threaded on one or both ends, then you can buy that from just about any pen-making supply site .... Bear Tooth Woods, Exotic Blanks, Lee Valley, PSI, etc.

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
If what you want is the mandrel rod, threaded on one or both ends, then you can buy that from just about any pen-making supply site .... Bear Tooth Woods, Exotic Blanks, Lee Valley, PSI, etc.

Not all mandrel replacement rods have the same thead on either end. I found out this when I bought a replacement rod from Woodcraft and discovered that it would not fit the Morse taper (headstock) end OR the brass knurled nut (talstock) end on a Rockler mandrel.. Different threads altogether. Same mandrel rod diameter but otherwise different.

Last edited:

magpens

Here is one method to try to get the old rod out undamaged (if you are very careful), but it assumes that you have a lathe with the appropriate features and accessories.

Put the tapered part in the headstock. The rod will be sticking out towards the tailstock.

Mount a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock; move the tailstock towards the headstock until the Jacobs chuck can securely grip the threaded rod. Tighten the Jacobs onto the rod.

By hand (do not switch on the lathe), turn the headstock in such a direction as to loosen the rod from the tapered piece. You may have to tap the tapered piece into the headstock to make that grip secure.

I think you should be able to loosen the rod from the tapered part in this way.

You will probably have to use a knock-out bar to get the tapered part out of the headstock.

Fay Prozora

Mine screws in and out of the morse taper thing. If that rod has a flat impression on both sides of it, then you should be able to unscrew it with a wrench. Mine comes loose all the time. Maybe not all mandrels will screw in or out.. Good luck Fay

Top Bottom