Mandrel Saver live tailstock ... Question ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Willee

Is anyone using the Mandrel Saver tail stock live center.

It is the one that slips over the mandrel and applies force directly to the blank(s) without stressing the mandrel.

What do you think about it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Simplex

I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it here. I checked out PSI and it looks like a pretty innovative solution for a respectable price. I'd like to hear from some of the people who have used it, too.

Last edited:

Padre

If I'm not turning between centers, I use it and I love it. I doubt I would ever go back to the days of the 'knurled knob.' :biggrin:

KenBrasier

Yes, I use one and like it very much. It works very well, it allows you to only use as much of the mandrel length as needed. It is less likely to over tighten and bend or warp the mandrel shaft.

Robert A.

Man talk about timing.I have the first model they came out with.Sent it back due to BAD bearings right out of the box.The one I have has a crome nipple in the end held in with a rubber oring.They were supposed to fix that also.BUT THEY DID NOT.Just sent them an email today.Just gotta wait and see what they say.

My opinion is the old style is crapppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!

penfancy

I love mine. The knob stays in the drawer, never to be used again! I also use it with the drill chuck to hold the mandrel.

ossaguy

I got one about 2 weeks ago.When I spun it by hand,it felt like flat spots in the bearing,but after the first pen,it feels smooth.

I sure like using it,so far the mandrel stays true,and the last one was not out of round.I'm still not comfortable with exactly how much to turn the tailstock wheel in.

Like other's have said,the not messing around with the knurled nut is really nice,it's faster to set up.

Steve

gr8danish

I LOVE mine! I turn between centers, but I use the mandrel for sanding / finishing. The mandrel saver is a great inexpensive tool IMO...

Top Bottom