Mandrel/bushing fit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I was turning a few Cigar pens today, and was having a few issues with my blanks while turning them--I tracked the issue down to my Brand New Cigar Pen bushings fitting loose as all get out on my mandrel. Odd thing is these bushings were quite old, they came from Craft Supply. I mic'd my mandrel and it was .246-.247--in fact I have several brand new mandrels--these are all from Whiteside, and the all Mic'd that same number. So I called Craft Supply--always pretty helpful, and the guy I spoke with said their mandrels Mic'd at .260--obviously a little over .250 which I think is the so called standard???

At any rate I have a LOT of other pen bushings that all fit well on these Whiteside mandrels. The old cigar bushings that were showing a good bit of wear--which is why I started with brand new bushings--actually fit my mandrel well.
So my question to you folks is this--what is typical for the through bore hole size on bushings?? Also is there anybody out there who does custom bushings that are of a high quality? What do ya'lls mandrel shafts measure in diameter?

Any input/advice is welcome!!

Thanks--Don

KenV

"D" rod is the standard at 0.246 for mandrels.

Craft supply catalog suggests they may have a matched system that is different. That would make mandrels and bushings from them not interchangable with other sources.

Top Bottom