Malachite/Amboyna Burl on Cambridge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

As I post this with some trepidation, I have to keep telling myself that the idea sounded good. I would use my favorite Tru-Stone, Malachite, with my favorite wood, Amboyna Burl and, at times, having a different material for cap and body look good. I'm not sure this was one of those times. After I finished this pen, I went from liking it to wanting to dismantle it. I'm still pondering... Anyway comments and critique are welcome....Hope everyone has a good Sunday and thank you for looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Malachite Amboyna Burl Duo on Cambridge.jpg
    Malachite Amboyna Burl Duo on Cambridge.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Malachite Amboyna Duo on Cambridge_1.jpg
    Malachite Amboyna Duo on Cambridge_1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 146
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Doc, let me start off by telling you that I think this pen looks very well turned and finished. The fitting to the kit is good too. I personally do not like the looks of them together in this pen. That is just me. Both the malachite and the ambonya themselves look amazing as normal. I just don't feel they work well together. But again that is my opinion. Either way you did a nice job on the pen, so remember that part. :)

witz1976

I like the two together, but to me it is the kit that makes it not work. Between the burl, the trustone, and then all the craziness in the kit it is over whelming. Other than that the turning, fit and finish look suburb!

wizard

Dan, I didn't really think about the kit until you mentioned it. I believe you nailed it as far as the reason for my ambivalence about this pen. Thank you,
Doc.

lwalden

I tend to agrre with the earlier comments- individually, the materials all look nice and the craftsmanship does them justice. It's just way to busy, between the Rhodium, the Gold, and the Black of the kit with the green of the malachite and the shades in the amboyna. To much stuff going on there for my taste.

renowb

I also agree with the other comments. The two individual pieces are beautiful, but not together, just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. Nice job though.

Akula

Amboyna Burl is hands down my favorite of all materials. It stands on it's own and to me, anything added to it would only hurt the overall piece.

Think about this, your half way in making two pens LOL Just get two more pieces and match them up :)

Texatdurango

Nice blanks but I think I would get busy turning an amboyna cap and malachite bottom! :wink:

I used to dislike that kit but it's growing on me. I think either material would look smashing...... with matching top and bottom!

From where I sit, that's one nice finish on the amboyna!

wizard

OK guys !!! Thanks for the feedback and good suggestions from all of you...and I fully agree.....Just got back from the shop and pen # 1 with the Amboyna burl done. Have to wait on Malachite until I get a new kit from Woodcraft. I can't seem to upload an image...or attach a file. I'll put it in a new thread. Thanks to all! Doc

Last edited:
Top Bottom