Making accent bands for pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I bought some round discs last week and am going to punch holes in them myself. I'm too cheap to buy one of the "jewelers" hole punches for $200+ so I have an idea how to make my own setup using Harbor Freight transfer punches. I'll share the idea if it works, or might even share if it doesn't work just to see some others screw up some washers! :biggrin:

Use your metal lathe George. Hold the disc with soft jaws made for the chuck and core the disc with a spot-weld cutter or a small parting tool ground to match the id of the hole you want. No distortion and a very accurate and clean cut inside hole in the ring.

You could even make an aluminium soft-jaw bushing to fit your largest collet to hold the disc if the lathe chuck can't take the soft-jaws.

Pete

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I bought some round discs last week and am going to punch holes in them myself. I'm too cheap to buy one of the "jewelers" hole punches for $200+ so I have an idea how to make my own setup using Harbor Freight transfer punches. I'll share the idea if it works, or might even share if it doesn't work just to see some others screw up some washers! :biggrin:

Use your metal lathe George. Hold the disc with soft jaws made for the chuck and core the disc with a spot-weld cutter or a small parting tool ground to match the id of the hole you want. No distortion and a very accurate and clean cut inside hole in the ring.

You could even make an aluminium soft-jaw bushing to fit your largest collet to hold the disc if the lathe chuck can't take the soft-jaws.

Pete
Pete, would happen to have a photo of this?:confused: I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. But, it sounds good.

Well, next time you are secretly behind one of these George let me know so I can come watch you make it! :biggrin:

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 188

Curly

Pete
Pete, would happen to have a photo of this?:confused: I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. But, it sounds good.

Search for chuck soft jaws and look at the images. You will see they are soft steel or aluminium jaws that are attached to the jaws of chucks. The chuck is the type that are 2 part where the parts with the scroll stay in the chuck and the jaws are removed. With the soft jaws installed they are cut to shape to hold the object with the lathe.

In this case you would cut a recess slightly smaller than the silver disc. When opened and closed on the disc, it sits in the recess and is gripped around its circumference and supported by the back of the jaws.

turbowagon

I really want to do this, as I have a custom order pen where I need to make gold accent bands, but I just can't bring myself to use uncoated brass... tarnishing will be a dealbreaker for the customer.

I'm trying to brainstorm possible ways around it.... maybe turn the bands a bit undersize (mounting on a separate mandrel), put on a thick layer of CA.... then glue them to the barrel and turn true to the surface? I think I'll try that.

Rich L

I really want to do this, as I have a custom order pen where I need to make gold accent bands, but I just can't bring myself to use uncoated brass... tarnishing will be a dealbreaker for the customer.

I'm trying to brainstorm possible ways around it.... maybe turn the bands a bit undersize (mounting on a separate mandrel), put on a thick layer of CA.... then glue them to the barrel and turn true to the surface? I think I'll try that.

Why not gold plate your brass rings? Find the right plater and it's really not expensive. I just got a quote for some of my stuff and gold electro-plating a pen barrel at 5µm thick (that's pretty thick) was less than $10. So, a few rings ...

I will say, however, that some of the quotes I got were ridiculously high.

Just a thought as it would give your customer some real gold.

Cheers,
Rich

Rich L

I was at a factory where they were swaging gold bands on to the barrels using a bench mounted pneumatic 5C collet closer. They had some plastic bushings to not mar the gold bands and some other internal blocks to prevent cracking the barrels but it was a quick and easy process. The hardest part was getting/making the bands.

I have been thinking about making one of those swagers with either a used pneumatic chuck or a manual one. Since silver bands are much cheaper to make than gold it might make for a good investment in tooling in exchange for having to make fewer pen parts. But, if you're only doing onsey twosey with bands it might not make sense. I happen to like to make tooling :wink:

Cheers,
Rich

Top Bottom